KONA EXPLOSIF REYNOLDS 853 - TO RE-PAINT OR RE-TOUCH - HELP!

fully re-paint in BAD BLUE with new reproduction decals

• leave as is, but touch in all the chips and bad bits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fully respray in custom colour (NO, NOT WHITE!!!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
magas":3o4gr00l said:
leave it as it is, just touch up the bad bits and gave the frame a good clean.
put on some nice parts with the money you saved when not having it repainted ;)

What he said.

Its actually looks pretty good as is so I'd just treat any exposed metal and build it up as a rider.

Too be honest i have done both..i have resprayed/powdercoated 3 frames..i have enclosed 4 pics below.. and have one KONA EXPLOSIF 853 1999 that is near mint and a KONA HOT 1997 that i touched in with model paints. The frames i have had sprayed have met with very positive comments..but some members believe that they should be left "as is" to keep that retro feel..

I am very lucky i ride all my bikes, i ride every day to work..I have had people stop me in "static traffic" asking me about them..the colour schemes/powder coating etc

i can both sides of the argument..basically back in the 90's i had a young family.. now i can "afford" these bikes i lusted for. If the frame is badly scratched well used or "patina" i would get it repsrayed.

One topic i do agree on is if you spend £££ on re spray and decals plus with the price of the frame i doubt that you would any profit if you were to sell

Looking at yours i would touch it up with model enamel paint and get a 853 decal form gil_m on here.

Remember its your bike ..nobody elses...you do what you want

Ernie ;)

Attachments

• hot 008.jpg
    hot 008.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 2,045
  • explosif 2 002.jpg
    explosif 2 002.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 2,044
  • kilauea 003.jpg
    kilauea 003.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 2,044
  • 5 002.jpg
    5 002.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 2,043
drcarlos":3rt7hafo said:
Something custom as IMO that colour and finish just doesn't do that frame justice.

Carl.

I agree. I'm not sure what happened in 1998 but for me Kona had a :? moment because their colour range that year is pretty pants; especially when 1997 was pretty colourful.

Even though that's a very similar blue to the 97 CC, for me it just doesn't work with the red and white graphics.

Maybe go with a sky blue pearl finish?

al-onestare":1bktz2dh said:
drcarlos":1bktz2dh said:
Something custom as IMO that colour and finish just doesn't do that frame justice.

Carl.

I agree. I'm not sure what happened in 1998 but for me Kona had a :? moment because their colour range that year is pretty pants; especially when 1997 was pretty colourful.

Even though that's a very similar blue to the 97 CC, for me it just doesn't work with the red and white graphics.

Maybe go with a sky blue pearl finish?

+1..further to my last post..colours were bland :? ..if you have a look around this site there are some very "inspiring" :cool: colourways/paint schemes :cool: as well if you were going to go down that route ;)

Ernie ;)

This one had a lot more chips than yours when I bought it, but nobody has ever noticed the repairs I did. On the other hand, the 1998 paintwork is very fragile and you would find it difficult to keep it in its repaired state. So I think it all boils down to whether you like the colour. If you don't, change it. Personally I would stick to 1998 decals though.

Attachments

• 1998 Explosif frame size 17.jpg
    1998 Explosif frame size 17.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,978
That looks very nice indeed, you have done a good job there. What type of paint and colour/code did you use to achieve such a good match. This may be the way I go also!

Just touch up the bad bits and replace the bad decals courtesy of Gil.

The decals on mine were in a terrible state, so I got a nice set of "zesty" (cheers Ernie ;) ) ones done. Made such a difference.

Attachments

• DSC01255.JPG
    DSC01255.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 894
I'm going to join the re-spray brigade, if you really feel that it's going to be a keeper and by hell an 853 frame is going to outlive you if you look after it...... then yeah, treat it to a re-spray and get it built. I'm a sucker for re-sprays, I've had several done to the same frames over the years, never once looked back.

I voted 'Leave as is...' even though with my 853 Explosif, when I couldn't decide myself, I took it to the powder coaters and had it left 'raw' with metalflake clearcoat... :cool:

I will get it built up eventually - but now I can't decide on the fork/wheelset combo... :roll:

...and my 'Saracen' seems to have taken precedence :!:

Back