Kona Explosif paint code

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
So, I have a 1996 Kona Kula with a cracked frame.

I've been on the lookout for an Explosif frame to migrate the components onto and, as luck would have it, a 1992 Explosif frame popped up for sale at the weekend ... right here in Sydney. And in my size. The seller was even kind enough to drop it off at work for me. Blimey!

Being a '92 it's a bronze/gold colour. But it needs a respray, and I'd like to paint it the Olive Green of the '96 Explosif. Does anyone know the paint code for this colour (or the nearest match), or where it can be found?

Many thanks.

JT

PS. I'm also considering respraying the '92 frame it's original colour and hanging the '96 parts on it - but I do like that Olive Green.

Re:

No help with the colour I'm afraid, but wanted to mention that your two 92/96 frames will have different fork lengths - just in case you were swapping one onto t'other...
Apologies if this is a sucking eggs situation! ;)

Re:

Hey elP,

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. I didn't know that.

The fork going onto the '92 Explosif is a '96 Rockshox Judy XC. Is that going to be mis-matched to this frame?

Re:

Kona geometry changed in '93 to accommodate suspension, and P2s got longer at the same time to compensate.

You might get away with the shocks, especially if you switch to a slightly shorter stem at the same time, but ideally you'd have a P2 with 395mm axle-crown height.

What travel are the forks? Something short like 63mm might not upset it too much :)

It won't not work, just might steer a bit horribly...

The current fork is seized but an identical one I'm looking at buying has 60mm of travel and an axle to crown height of 420mm.

I might look for some P2s anyway, I kinda like 'em.

Re:

That sounds great - they're close enough to the original P2s that it shouldn't turn it into a barge! If you can afford 20mm off the stem to speed things back up a touch that's probably ideal :cool: then just grab the barends when you want to stretch out...

But yeah, P2s are good kit if you come across some that suit - can't go wrong really :D

Now, back to that paint... :LOL:

Back