• A Kona AND a ROcky Mountain

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Kona 1990 Cindercone
Kona 1994 Cindercone
Kona 2000 Pahoehoe
Kona 2004 Expolsif

newly aquired 1991 Kona Lavadome aka project wife christmas build :shock:

Should I vote Kona 5 times :LOL: ( I havn't btw)

A '95 kona cindercone and a '06 RM vertex for me :D
Perhaps now i should look for a retro RM :roll: ;)

I didn't even know Kona was Canadian till i got the information here at RetroBike! :LOL:

2 RM for me. ;)

orange71":z80unngb said:
neither, but would be a Rocky Mountain if I did.

never found a Kona to fit either.

This option is missing from the poll!
I own neither as well.
I think RM is superior to Kona of which I have never liked. Rockies were always super cool alhough I have never owned one.

Anthony":w4xtt4ur said:
November 1, 2002 . The British Columbians (Pioneers)

The first country outside the USA to be exposed to Mountain Biking was Canada.

Bio written by Jacob Heilbron

So USA first, Canada second - well I never (apologies, not wanting to drag this thread off topic).

Back in the room. I owned a Kileaua but only briefly a couple of years ago - nice enough frame but I was in a clearing out period, had developed no real attachment to it so it went. Have to say though that to my eyes it wasn't the best looking frame in such a big size which contrasts to 18"-19" sloping top tube frames that tend to look very well proportioned, again, to my eyes.

Anyway, I have digressed again. Both Rocky Mountain and Kona clearly produce quality bikes as they have a number of passionate devotees. I'd love to try a suitably sized RM but fear that even if the ride was great it might look a little unwieldy in a big size (and it's all about the look as much as the ride, at least for me).

Vainly and irrelevantly

Ed

Own 3 konas and they're great. Would love Sovereign and an Altitude though to sit beside my hot

ededwards":24fgwcmv said:
Back in the room. I owned a Kileaua but only briefly a couple of years ago - nice enough frame but I was in a clearing out period, had developed no real attachment to it so it went. Have to say though that to my eyes it wasn't the best looking frame in such a big size which contrasts to 18"-19" sloping top tube frames that tend to look very well proportioned, again, to my eyes.
Anyway, I have digressed again. Both Rocky Mountain and Kona clearly produce quality bikes as they have a number of passionate devotees. I'd love to try a suitably sized RM but fear that even if the ride was great it might look a little unwieldy in a big size (and it's all about the look as much as the ride, at least for me).
Ed
Rockies look better in bigger sizes than Konas IMO, I think they have more slope - longer head tube, more seat tube extension/lower top tube.

[Slightly OT I fear, but just an excuse to post up a couple of pics for you Ed!]

Attachments

• 1996 Blizzard - size 20.5.jpg
    1996 Blizzard - size 20.5.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 892
  • 1992 Blizzard size 20.5.jpg
    1992 Blizzard size 20.5.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 892
gump":vx9l5nbq said:
Thanks Anthony, thats very interesting :)

Shows again that history is only whats told, not what happened.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that when I posted the link that Anthony has copied and pasted here (that might be where he came across that information) in the thread that spawned this one http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0 you were somewhat offended by me saying one similarity was that they were founded by the same guy, yet when Anthony offers the same information you thank him and say it's very interesting? No hard feelings, I'm really just wondering. Perhaps you mised the link under my comment?

Kona Paul, I know I had missed your link :oops: , I guess at the time I thought it was a signature link or something and skipped past it. I did read the post though. I even went searching the net for some information about it, :LOL: .

I think at the time a lot of different companies were started kicked off and ideas came from a few people, I cannot prove it but things do spiral out from. Same thing happens in pretty much all areas of similar business.
I always thought they where similar in design, but BITD I knew very little of their history, but after riding a few of the lower bike in the shops the RM's felt better for me. Chance had it I came across a bargain RM Altitude BITD and bought it. Never looked back since, then my brother started to buy them. Odd friends also never seemed to buy Kona. Everything else but not Kona, I have no idea why though. Maybe because Kona's where common around here in my part of the UK.

Back