What do you own?

• A Kona

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Rocky Mountain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Kona AND a ROcky Mountain

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Despite it being boxed and ready to go to it's new owner. I guess I still own a RM Experience. Would of liked to have kept that one or at least ridden it! Anyway things change.

As for Kona, I don't dislike them, but there aren't very high on shopping list. I do like the geometry of them with the low sloping top tube, but the whole package just does'nt grab me, too many gimmicky own brand parts I think. Sorted a mates Sex Too earlier in the year and crikey it was heavy and did'nt flick my switch.

RM or Kona

1 of each in the garage. Kona Kilauea early '92/3 dark blue one (Caro's not mine) & a Rocky Mtn Hammer 17" steel frame (only) for sale.
Reallly fancied a RM Stratos back in early '90's but couldn't justify price difference between alu Trek.

Well a majority of RM owners own a Kona, so far at least. That slightly surprises me, but I’m not sure the ‘own’ concept is what is of most interest.

If the Voodoo Bizango was in as plentiful supply as the Explosif, I would generally prefer a Bizango, especially a 97 Tange Ultimate Superlight. I think Joe Murray took it with him, and his Voodoos are better designed than contemporary Konas. But I’ve never seen a single 90s Bizango for sale ever, in any size, let alone my size. Nor have I ever seen a 90s Blizzard for sale in my size. I have seen one Altitude for sale in my size, but just one and it was too expensive for its condition. Nor are 90s RMs and Voodoos plentiful even in the US. They’re all lying idle in sheds I’d guess, as their wealthy owners get less and less active as the years roll by, but have no need nor wish to sell them.

You can only own what’s there to own. Very few RMs were imported into the UK BITD, compared to Kona. There weren’t even all that many Konas imported, but a fairly high proportion of them are still in action. People don’t necessarily prefer them to RMs, but they’re available.

Bought a Kona frame this morning. It's a low-end one but it's going to be singlespeeded up. My other's are GT and Giant. Would love to have a RM9 though.

Back