Kona AA 1st Retro Build. Kona Help

lucky bugger, I do a bit of voluntary work with bikes but we never get anything like that in. never been given a bike either. but it is a good learning experience and taught me some valuable lessons (before I started there I didn't even know how to adjust gears :oops: )

I'm amazed at some of the kit that comes in , it's not all the time we get good stuff, most if the work and donations are scrappy low end stuff, but every now and then we get some great items, a lot in crap condition unfortunately.

We've even got an original Gary Fisher Evil Dead, that's been moth balled and kept out of prying eyes. I'll get some photos next time I'm in !

Well its been a couple of months since I started, also I'm finally out of plaster so I could use both hand and do some work.

So since November, the AA has been fully stripped, degreased, I've patch painted the parts of oxidization with some enamel model paint, it looks a bit shoddy in some areas, but I'm really liking the original look of it so I'm holding off on getting it powder coated. (well that and I have to source the Decals too)

I sourced a set of P2 forks locally, they were connected to an old Fire Mountain, which I got for a good price (less than the forks go for on eBay for the whole bike). The P2's are the dark gold coloured ones, the decals are in terrible condition and theres a few scrapes on the paintwork, I'm holding off getting these done too because of the decals issue and they're a 1994 model, so I thinks the decals changed (please correct me if i'm wrong) and i'm wondering what would be a good colour to go with the AA, the FM also had a Kona Light seatpost in it, in pretty poor condition, You'll see in the photos where i've sanded and polished it, getting a majority of the damage parts out and leaving the dull area around the RaceLight marking on the top of the seat tube.

All the components scrubbed up really well and we're in great condition. so far the only new parts I've added are the Cassette and Chain plus the tyres, How hard can it be to get hold of a Rear Kona Sniff (or Scratch), I still have the front tyre one in the garage and its in good condition. I've used it a few times to pop into the Charity Bike shop I volunteer in, and can say its like a bloody rocket on the road, but the ride is so harsh, every bump and hole is felt! that'll be the P2's and the fact its all rigid......

Heres some photos for you guys to peruse, sorry for any blurry ones, I took these with the mobile! any comments and suggestions are very welcome, thanks for the advice.

5159jp.jpg

2zi070x.jpg

2hxlmdx.jpg

2gyd01u.jpg

a0c9xv.jpg

2aakjf7.jpg

hrapsz.jpg

30wkzsh.jpg

ekmioo.jpg

k2h8xj.jpg

2s0obur.jpg

30lh4lv.jpg

206edc4.jpg

2lxh0t4.jpg

k0t3cl.jpg

swu1d0.jpg

2ytsdci.jpg

21aa14h.jpg

jinjrich":21n2y71g said:
Bloody good job! Looks good.

Thanks Jinjrich, its been an absolute blast getting it done, loving the research and advice found on these threads,
Peteroughton169":21n2y71g said:
Is that west park darlington?
it is mate, i take it you're on the doorstep then mate!

I've just got a Cougar Road bike (sorry I know, blasphemy mentioning the RB word on these pages) and I'm going to start on the Kona Fire Mountain next, although that one will be getting sold.

I so want a GT RTS to do........dream bike from my late teens!!

I have a set of 95 gold judy xc with spring upgrade. Decent nick but damper may need some attention. Steerer is a bit short for my 19" frame, a-head steerer, has the brake hanger lowers too, May fit your AA?!!!

Back