Kirk Bicycles Frame Numbers

Waite46

Retro Newbie
Sorry, not sure which chat location is best as this is for Road Bikes and MTB
Is there ANYONE ANYWHERE that knows what the Frame Numbers relate to for Kirk (magnesium) bicycles i.e. Year, model number, early models, later ones, sequence stamps etc I have 4 Kirk frames with various codes starting A and C then six numbers.

Please please Anyone Anywhere do you have anything ?

Thanks

Waite46":198ght7m said:
Sorry, not sure which chat location is best as this is for Road Bikes and MTB
Is there ANYONE ANYWHERE that knows what the Frame Numbers relate to for Kirk (magnesium) bicycles i.e. Year, model number, early models, later ones, sequence stamps etc I have 4 Kirk frames with various codes starting A and C then six numbers.

Please please Anyone Anywhere do you have anything ?

Thanks

I've got two MTB's one early one and the other from the Dawes era, to be honest I've never bothered to check the serial numbers,

Sadly the general consensus of all things Kirk is akin to "Dog Pooh" however there are tidy ones out there but no Kirk aficionados (that I'm aware of) other than Simon Hydn whose website whilst excellent has lain dormant for years http://www.kirk-bicycles.co.uk/Kirk-History.htm

I'll look out my frame numbers and post on this thread

Re: Kirk Frame Numbers

Thanks. Someone must know something and I wondered if there are any ex employees anywhere. The Precision race bikes I think are near the bottom bracket and all my MTB ones are offside off chain on rear stay on the inside. Don’t know what A or C represents? Year, Model? Presume low numbers are oldest / first in line etc

Re:

Funny picture that.
They were recyclable though were t they? Lol

I’ll add this to my folder of “anything Kirk related”

Thanks

Re:

My Revolution is no. C200695

I have no idea whether this is a high or low frame number , or indeed the date the frame was produced

If other proud owners would like to submit their frame numbers , we could get some idea of the
range of numbers and possibly guesstimate the quantity of bikes produced

Another consideration is how the frames were actually numbered ? ' normal ' frames are often numbered using
individual hand stamps , and a big hammer . Kirk frames are numbered very neatly in an exact straight line
and in a place where you could not swing a hammer . I suspect that the 7 numbers/letter were pressed in, in one block ,
using a hydraulic press and an automatic numbering system

Re: Kirk Frame Numbers

Good idea. Mine are all MTB’s.
The first and I think oldest based on the cable runners on the bike (enclosed rather than open) and it’s factory red ( so an earlier version is C200590 - maybe late 80’s? I then have a grey frame which has a Dawes sticker so I believe early 90’s when Dawes distributes is an A20 model number A254282. Then a straight black with cerise and green stickers so early / mid 90’s Revolution I think is number A322386.

The guy I bought the red MTB off has an original Precision Road bike top spec’d out in Campagnolo C Record and Disc Wheel which he says is stamped 20th off the production line! So, 1986/7 I guess. Just feel like the C stamp are the earlier late 80’s ones.

More contributors please detail and any ex Kirk employees would be great.

I contacted Dawes to ask for archive records and they said “they don’t have anything”.

Re:C200695

Should have mentioned that my cable guides are also solid and without cable slots

Please ignore my previous comments about frame numbering . On further thought
it is obvious that the frames were each numbered/engraved in a pantograph machine

Back