King “Rewind Play” with Klein Backfire inspired paintjob

Skynet

Senior Retro Guru
The bike was shown at Eurobike 2019, I don’t know if it was built as a show bike or it was a customer’s being shown off either way the cabling was a bit messy (that’s being polite). There are pics out there if you want a laugh :)

It is a fillet brazed Columbus frame with a 3T full carbon fork complete with a Klein Backfire inspired paintjob although the yellow has a tinge of green to it. I bought it as a frameset. It did have a matching fade painted handlebar but don’t know what happened to it. The colour coded stem did survive but was far too long, 130mm. I might persuade my brother to paint my ones up to match the originals as he’s the expert or try myself if I want to mess it up, black will have to do for now.

It’s not quite finished but close enough to have a ride.

The build isn’t anything exciting, Cane Creek Forty headset, 11 speed 8000 XT (34t and 11-46 dinner plate cassette), 8100 brakes with 27.5” 3T Discus C25 wheels (nice although they don’t look like £850 wheels to me but they were reduced to just under £300), Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyres. Specialized s-works stem with carbon Salsa Salt Flat bars and DMR Deathgrips. The post is a s-works carbon and the saddle is the same as a Fabric Spoon that I had laying around. It’s on the heavy side so depends how comfy it is on this as to whether it stays (probably not). I used Raceface Ride flats today as I was out with my brother and we could swap rides but I normally use clipless. The saddle was also down a bit today over what I usually have although that depends where I’m riding.

We did consider SRAM AXS but it’s just so expensive, not worth 5x plus, depending on brakes, to me over what we paid for XT.

The frame is obviously heavier than my carbon Scott Scale but the rigid fork, 1x vs 2x and few other lighter parts evens things up. It rides like a steel bike should, soaking up bumps but doubly so over a road bike and feels lively whereas the Scott is very efficient but also very stiff.

Couple of pics before it started raining.

Back