Kinesis Maxlight XC (Modern Content)

Here you go Kyle:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Picasia-fork- ... 20ee900a00

P2s were on the cards until I stumbled across the picasias when looking at trigon forks on ebay.
I'm looking forward to it, and I think it'll teach me a lot about line choice and skills and stuff, if I don't like it then I'll buy some SIDs, but they aren't cheap.

Yeah I looked into it loads beforehand and decided that trigon was the way to go over exotic, and I then scoured the internet for a picasia review from which I found a brief one from a guy in Australia, so I hope it's like its stickered counterparts and doesn't break on me :)

I'm very tempted to keep making it lighter, but will upgrade components as funds allow. The wheels will be first to go I think as they weigh almost 3kg with tyres and stans fluid, but light 26" wheels are surprisingly difficult to find cheap nowadays :(

Sorry Fatal Swan but I'm keeping it as long as possible, if I do ever sell it you can have first dibs if you want though, you can have second as well, Kyle :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

They do look good although I'm running v's with non disc hubs so not really an option at the moment.

Really like the look of yours with the flat bars. I have just ordered some funn ones from crc that are like 190g to replace my risers!

Re:

Ah yeah that is a problem... You could always ask Fatal Swan how to de-sticker some trigon ones with bosses, although they are £120

I was actually originally going to get Vs as the frame has bosses but the only good newer V wheels I could find were on Merlin and double the price of the ones I got off ebay..

Thanks :) Flat bars do look nicer in my opinion, but I also like the racy almost retro position :twisted:
CRC do have some great deals going in their clearout atm, shame I have no money left to spend right now :roll:

Re:

Maybe somethin to keep in mind for the future i guess, I've been happy with the P2's so far.

Some decent second hand wheels off here would of been the way forward...

Yep crc are good i wish i had some money spare to spend on some other bits stem, seatpost etc

Yeah that's fair enough...

Yeah but there weren't many going around the time I was looking but oh well, the SLXs have amazing reviews anyway

Same, slightly annoying really but oh well

Re: the forks - mine were debranded before I owned them. I was sold them as Trigons though and they were exactly the same - I got a good deal on them and in the end when I split the bike they went to ebay and the auction reached about 3 times what I paid for them!

Before that I had a set of Mosso 7005 forks on the Maxlight, as in the link in the first post. They're not a bad option weightwise between carbon forks and the usual stuff around 850-900g because they're decent value if you can find a set in the UK. I can't remember exactly what they were but something like 600-650g. I was only using them for the road though, I guess they would probably be too harsh a ride for anything but light XC (not sure what aluminium rigid forks are like for durability off-road, either).

Always fun to play the weight weenie game with a frame that deserves it (you know you're in trouble when you make your first spreadsheet...) My ongoing project is this one: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=249295 and it's a bit like T99's Kinesis build in that it's nearly all modern (well ok, modern by RB standards!) but somehow feels kind of retro to me at heart. It's always had V-brakes as it seemed the much lighter option but I'm in the process of switching to discs after buying a new set of wheels.

Re:

Ohhh that makes more sense, always nice to make a profit...

Oh yeah my spreadsheet has been going for a while now and now has two other tabs for both cross and road builds I'm planning for in the future :facepalm: I'm aiming for sub 9kg to start with in the hope that I can upgrade stuff as previously mentioned, but as you say in your viper thread, it's to be ridden not weighed!
Yeah it was originally going to be more retro, but functionality and weight took over and gradually everything I had planned got newer, lighter and more expensive... Wheels as I said were the main reason I chose discs, other than the lower maintenance and improved power, but as you day the downside is weight definitely.

I still haven't finished it sadly, although I have the final parts coming in the post at some point over the next few days so will post another pic when complete. I do have the brakes on though and I must say they are truly awesome and unparalleled by any other brake I've ever used just from rolling balance bike style down the road.

Re:

Oh ok i may be changing my fork for the picasia's and putting an avid bb7 on the front.

I have the option of changing my wheels for the disc hub'd ones off my trials bike!

Back