K2 66 'Comp SUPERSIZE

dale697

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys,

I have this K2 '66 Comp' that I bought whilst serving in Germany (from an American PX) back in 1993.

I've been trying to get some info on it (and if it's worth anything) but have had no luck whatsover.

The bike itself is completely original (except for the pedals, tyres and brake blocks) and it even has the original cables on. The gears (Shimano Exage) are starting to play up a bit but other that that, it's a solid bike.

If anyone out there could give me any info at all then I would really appreciate it.

Cheers Dale

Attachments

• DSCN1400.JPG
    DSCN1400.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 884
Cheers for the info Bart, interesting reading!!!

I notice mine has a sticker saying 7005-T6 alloy but that's about all I can say on it. I noticed you mentioned the frame number; can you tell the date of manufacture by it?

I also notice you said 'had' on your reply. What happened to the bike mate?

I'm wondering if I should start a restoration project?????

Cheers

dale697":bwi29qzo said:
mentioned the frame number; can you tell the date of manufacture by it?
Your frame number probably start with 92. Meaning, build in 1992, to be sold in 1993.

Hi Dale,

Not sure about the framenummers. If it starts with a 9 it could be the production year.

I sold the frame to a retrobike member in the Netherlands. I think he still has it...

I had a white K2 like these stolen from Fargo, nd in early 2000s, first time I've been able to even find another owner. I never stop looking, as a guy who's pushing 6'5 and doesn't care about suspension it was perfect, light. Neighbor kid stole it one night, I think, he'd been eyeing it for a little ng time. It was white K2 compe 66 hard tail. The lower frame where water bottles often go was thicker and had round colored stickers. I still look for it t on the trails. I had it shipped from South Carolina, had it for years, winter rider. They are impossible to find, so congrats to you guys with one of these

I had a white K2 like these stolen from Fargo, nd in early 2000s, first time I've been able to even find another owner. I never stop looking, as a guy who's pushing 6'5 and doesn't care about suspension it was perfect, light. Neighbor kid stole it one night, I think, he'd been eyeing it for a little ng time. It was white K2 compe 66 hard tail. The lower frame where water bottles often go was thicker and had round colored stickers. I still look for it t on the trails. I had it shipped from South Carolina, had it for years, winter rider. They are impossible to find, so congrats to you guys with one of these
hi Ccarlson77, this thread and posts are already 7 years old, not sure if those Bikes are still around.

Just in case if you're interested, in a German is a bit of information about old K2 Bikes
Although K2 was an US company, Bikes had been majorly sold to EU.

I have one of these too. Bought it new in early 90’s from military exchange when stationed in Germany. Put a RockShox front fork on it just after I bought it. I have dragged that bike with me all over the place, Germany, US (Virginia), South Korea, back to Virginia, Mississippi, back to Germany, back to Virginia then North Florida and now it resides in South Florida. I still ride this (30 year old) bike all the time. Mostly used as a cruiser bike now, replaced the hard seat for something more comfortable! And got higher handlebar, I’m not in my 30’s anymore! Great bike!

I have one of these too. Bought it new in early 90’s from military exchange when stationed in Germany. Put a RockShox front fork on it just after I bought it. I have dragged that bike with me all over the place, Germany, US (Virginia), South Korea, back to Virginia, Mississippi, back to Germany, back to Virginia then North Florida and now it resides in South Florida. I still ride this (30 year old) bike all the time. Mostly used as a cruiser bike now, replaced the hard seat for something more comfortable! And got higher handlebar, I’m not in my 30’s anymore! Great bike!
intresting storry, I would be curious to see a picture of the bike how it looks now :)

Back