Just gone 1x10.

I thought it was all a good idea until I held an 11-46 SLX in my hand- it weighs 500g ie double an XTR M970 11-32.

I know I need to subtract the big and granny ring and front mech and shifter and cable - but come on Shimano why are these rear cassettes so damn heavy

fotorat1":mjn5ceha said:
I thought it was all a good idea until I held an 11-46 SLX in my hand- it weighs 500g ie double an XTR M970 11-32.

I know I need to subtract the big and granny ring and front mech and shifter and cable - but come on Shimano why are these rear cassettes so damn heavy

I think the 11-46 is only really needed on the 29er to get a low enough ratio, on my 26er i think I can get a low enough out of a 34T - 42T combo, so I have the advantage on less weight and less of a ratio jump from 1st to 2nd. It's going to be a big case of suck it and see, but I nearly went for a 32T in error as I was looking at the ratios on my brothers Anthem 29er and a mates Beastnut 650b. My 26er drops the ratio so I need to go up to a 34T. It will be good fun trying it out for sure.

Carl.

So my conversion is complete. SLX mech and shifter, SRAM PC-1130 chain and Snail 34T chain ring.
The used XT 40-11T cassette fitted straight on with zero hassle.
It's smooth as you like, seems like it has enough range to allow for most situations although I'll probably go for a 42-11T Sunrace cassette (they look like they have larger alloy spiders to save weight) next spring when my part worn 40-11T will need replacing. No chain drops last night even without the clutch engaged but weird to only have the one shifter, felt like my first geared bike that was 6 speed!
Seems to suit the purpose of this bike.

Carl.

Back