I've gone and upset some petrol heads...

Re:

Great comments, especially about being young and daft :xmas-big-grin:

The big difference I see nowadays is that me and my mates had cheap runarounds that mostly had rust or running issues that we gradually learned how to fix ourselves over time. I don't think many these days know one end of a spanner from the other :facepalm:

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong or just getting to be an old git :xmas-big-grin:

Re:

I think you are bang on. There might be a few more reasons for it though, other than the lazy ignorant yoof.

Cars are a lot cheaper now, and youngsters often opt for hire purchase deals so they buy cars with warranties. Working on your own vehicles has its costs, in expense and space, and not many can be bothered with all that.

Re:

Peeps that fake the decals/bodywork on a mid range prestige car to look like the top of the range sports model...its fing saaad but can also be entertaining ;) Plenty of hilarious threads on car forums about this. Not trying to ruffle any feathers on here saying this, just saying !

Yoof that spend £25k building up MR2 to look like a Fezza or some such...why ? Just save up and buy a cheap high mileage genuine example that holds it value. Appreciate the insurance costs but these should be offset by lower depreciation or even appreciation like many classic sports cars do.

Yoof = crazy times. Had so many close shaves being driven my crazy mates bitd...just makes me shudder to think of it now. Wife is from SW Ireland and every year at least 10 local yoof die horribly doing what yoof do in cars. So many funerals and wasted lives but it never changes and that IS sad.

Re:

Yeah have lost too many friends and acquaintances to speed and stupidity, spent most of my life on motorbikes as have my mates, I'm not saying motorbikes are unsafe by any standards but those of you that ride know how easy it is to want to do things just that bit faster every time. But on the other hand there's a time and place for everything. Some choose it wisely, others don't live to tell the tale.
Same for car drivers, only difference is you have more protection.
Cars and their drivers today have no idea what real driving is! Am sure there's a good few on here that have been in the older cars, capris, cosworths, Sri`s, gte`s and the like. They were cars that you drove and if you did anything wrong especially in the rear wheel drive cars they weren't very forgiving! I started working on cars at a young age and hung around with people twice my age so had the privilege of working on and been in these type of cars, even the odd old kit car and yank tank for good measure.
If I drove I would have something older as a daily driver, but I don't. I'm really in no place to slate what anyone drives, just saying how things change.

Back