It pays to ride Retro!

That, my friend, is the best idea I've heard for a long time!

There are some lovely comments on this thread and I really appreciate it. Following this thread I will endeavour to:

1) Give it a once over to make it presentable.
2) Print out all the comments on here.
3) Ride the bike around to his house (about 10 miles round trip)
4) See if he has any further info on the bike or better still, photos of it in action in the 50s.
5) Finally I'll take a picture of me and 'Eddy' and his bike and post the picture on here.

Sounds like a plan. Cheers fellas!

Oh, and about Barrass Cycles...

Poking around on Google I found this: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... /page/4083 (source: The London Gazette).

There's a notice here that a George Parker Barrass retired from the firm that bore his name on June 30th 1953. This dissolved a business partnership between him and Cecil Jones (his partner). The business was set to continue bearing the name of 'Barrass Cycles'.

Their address was 227/9 Westgate Road - the same as Denton Cycles.

So your mountain bike now has a big brother...

HW

Re:

What a great story, and what a generous kind hearted man, my faith in mankind is restored, look forward to more pictures and stories,
enjoy the bike :D :D

Re:

Nice bike! And a great story which will add to the bike's history. I look forward to hearing more and seeing a few more photos.

This story just keeps getting better and better! Cheers HW. I'd been looking for any sign of Barrass without any luck, but to discover now it became Dentons, where I spent my first real cash on a bike is incredible. (£1500 on a full sus Marin Mount Vision in '98 a which is also still going strong!).

I've had a couple of articles in some of the cycle press published on the past but this one is going to make fantastic reading!

I will pass everyone's kind comments onto Eddy when I next speak to him, I'm sure he'll be utterly thrilled. He's not got a computer so he's got no idea that this is going on.

This is what its all about ;)
I am quite sure judging by your enthusiasm and kind, giving intententions that Eddie already knows he gave it to the right man.
It would be good to keep this going and stick a great picture up of eddie and yourself.
I would also get one of Eddie and the machine and enter it next months bike of the month competition :)

All the best
Jamie

Can only echo what others have said. Wonderful story and the bike looks like it will polish up to be in fantastic condition.

That's fantastic - both the story and the bike. I'd like to think I'd do the same as Eddy when they call time on my knees and my riding days... He sounds like a star!

PS I promise I'll look after ageing RB'ers' bikes if passed my way. ;)

Back