It Appears the British can't....

I find the bread and milk thing really wierd.
I mean, most people eat bread, and store a suitable quantity for consumption. As a perishable commodity, you don't want to store too much of it, so you buy some at least once a week.

So why does everyone go and buy bread when it snows?

Freezing the stuff is a possibility, but more than a couple of weeks and it goes very nasty.

Surely they should be stocking up on tinned produce in their panic.

But then this is a country that once managed to create a sugar shortage.

A senior minister in our devolved government said there was not article in Scots law that would allow anyone to sue someone for falling on a path they had cleared. Thus up here folk dont clear the pavement out of sheer laziness. I have cleared mine every morning but the weather keeps messing it up again :roll:

velomaniac":3kazwkza said:
A senior minister in our devolved government said there was not article in Scots law that would allow anyone to sue someone for falling on a path they had cleared. Thus up here folk dont clear the pavement out of sheer laziness. I have cleared mine every morning but the weather keeps messing it up again :roll:

The picture changes for England and Wales for your own property. If you know you are going to have people to your house, Milkman/Postman, then you have a duty of care to make sure it is safe, so you must clear the paths.

My first comment was about clearing the pavement outside your house, ie public property, then you have to be very cautious, because if anyone injures themselves as a result, e.g. not doing the job properly, or they slip on the snow you piled in one corner etc, then you leave yourself open to legal action for negligence :roll:

Bread selling out.But you cant keep the stuff too long and freezing it just make it taste crud
So, many people have bought loves they probably wont be able to use in a couple of days time :?
Yet the flour in cake aisle is totally untouched :shock:
Buy 20lbs of flour and some yeast and youve enough fresh bread for a month.
Convenience shopping has made people soft :? in the head obviously

Making your own bread is fatal and bad for your health though!

We bought a bread maker a few years ago, got all the ingredients and such, read the book and set it off going.......First couple of hours are fine as it mixes everything then kneads it.....Then bam it starts to bake and all of a sudden this gorgeous aroma of fresh warm baking bread comes out the machine and the whole family turn into drooling savages, at the 4hr point the buzzer goes off and the bread is ready, quick read through the instructions and it said "remove bread and allow to cool" out pops the bread and whoosh it lasted about 0.3 seconds till the drooling vulltures had devouured a full warm wholemeal family size loaf and half a slab of butter.

Worked out cheaper and safer to buy a loaf from tescos :roll: :LOL:

You like the bread that is made in a home maker :shock: mumsy got one years ago and it was crap , it looked and tasted like someone drew bread on some cardboard .

I think dyna might be talking about the proper way of making bread that almost nobody does .

dyna-ti":3aejbuk2 said:
Bread selling out.But you cant keep the stuff too long and freezing it just make it taste crud
So, many people have bought loves they probably wont be able to use in a couple of days time :?
Yet the flour in cake aisle is totally untouched :shock:
Buy 20lbs of flour and some yeast and youve enough fresh bread for a month.
Convenience shopping has made people soft :? in the head obviously
'cept both Waitrose and Sainsburys had sold out of most flour, and neither had yeast! :twisted:

Back