Is this really a Harry Quinn?

That tape is what we used on "clinchers" to stop the spokes from puncturing the inner-tube. Should have a metal ring through which the valve passes. Look like old alloy 27" X1/14" inch rims to me, not sure what the glue is doing?

Classy bike without a doubt.

Shaun

Midlife":2p9jbnxa said:
That tape is what we used on "clinchers" to stop the spokes from puncturing the inner-tube. Should have a metal ring through which the valve passes. Look like old alloy 27" X1/14" inch rims to me, not sure what the glue is doing?

Classy bike without a doubt.

Shaun

Yes, that's an 'old fashioned' cloth rim tape. Best to replace it with a modern synthetic one. I tend to use Schwalbe ones (mainly because my LBS stocks them!). Several brands of High Pressure rims (clinchers in modern parlance) didn't have bead seats, the most famous (notorious?) one being Weinmann. All it means is that you have to be careful not to put to much pressure in the tyre. I would say that the tyres that are currently fitted wouldn't take a very high pressure but it should say on the sidewall what the max is.

The 'glue' is a bit of a mystery. Is it definitely tubular glue? Perhaps some was used at some time to stick a patch on the inside of tyre carcase and some of it ran out?

Back