Is this frame toast?

I can see from all the way over here in the Southern hemisphere that it's bent starting way back at the left side brake bridge, lol.
For some people, this is still rideable. Others not. Metal fairly thick.

The next question I have for you is: how much do you like your friend?

Hahaha you are correct... Now I've removed the calipers it's easier to see!

Attachments

• 20230217_130549.jpg
    20230217_130549.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 32
so now you are in to the 2x4 method. slide it through the frame over the seat tube then leaver it back out.

it should be fine, but I can't give you any promises.

That looks like it can be set. Main issue will be that the bend is close to where the tube strength may have been compromised by the brake bridge weld - not hugely but it will have had effects which combined with the effect of the bend on the metal are likely to make it resistant to being bent back and could well promote some cracking of the alloy. I'd give it a go and not lose a great deal of sleep over it. As it is, if the frame was to fail there in use it's unlikely to be catastrophic, certainly not as bad as a steerer or main tube. Put the option to your mate and see what he thinks - as long as he checks that area of the frame regularly he should pick up on any problem before it becomes serious.

Thanks all. I think I'll go ahead and strip it and put the parts onto something else. It might well be OK, I mean it might have been like this for years, but I think at the back of my mind I'll be thinking what if! I'll karma it up on here soon for anyone that fancies it for postage 👍

Could be worth striping off all the paint & getting it NDT MPI, Dye Pen on the welds & x-rayed around the length of the chainstay areas to really see if cracks in the allloy along with porosity voids are present if you are not going to use it….🤔

Could be worth striping off all the paint & getting it NDT MPI, Dye Pen on the welds & x-rayed around the length of the chainstay areas to really see if cracks in the allloy along with porosity voids are present if you are not going to use it….🤔
It's not a bad idea. Probably worth it if it's a decent frame worth something. But on a frame of this value probably not worth it

Back