Is this frame toast?

I've had frames with tight wheels, some with not. Before I discovered this forum, I never worried at all about them. 🤣

Yes, 10mm is not normal. It shouldn't be that tight, no. But it is.

It's should be 130mm (I'd say).

Next question: what are you going to do? Use it or not?
Yes 130 it should be I think.

If it was mine I probably wouldn't. But I'm a bit if a fuss pot who doesn't like squeaks, stuff not matching etc 😂

But I'm building it for someone.. I was just seeing if it was OK to build as is.... Or whether it's not worth the risk of stretching the stays and bin it or karma it if someone else wanted it

If it was steel it might not bother me as much... But these alloy trek frames were pretty stiff

use a piece of threaded rod and a pair of nuts to slowly open up the drop outs, you will have to bend past 130mm and allow to spring back, not ideal but certainly achievable.
you can use a centre jig to figure out where it's bent, but it doesn't really matter because you can't target one side over the other very easily.

no one on here can tell you if it's safe, that's for you and your mate to decide I'm afraid. as I said, I'd ride it, in fact I have ridden similar and still do. :)

Not a bad idea 👍

Now I've put the frame upside down, it's a bit easier to see. Does indeed look a bit bent

Attachments

• 20230217_123907.jpg
    20230217_123907.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 27
There are tons of video tutorials out there showing how to DIY this exact problem in your house with a 2x4. You will need to determine which side(s) to correct. Again the tutorials will show you how to do so with string and a ruler.

Back