Is there such thing as canti to u brake adapters?

If I had a u brake frame I'd go hub brakes
U brakes have character. With the right pads and set up they work well. Making the old tech perform is the fun part.

The clogging is an issue though. This was at the Cotswold Cross last month.
Had to keeping poking the clods out with a stick!

Attachments

• 60964449-E07B-40A4-BC30-20D6078AC04D.jpeg
    60964449-E07B-40A4-BC30-20D6078AC04D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Well in fairness if you have a u brake frame I get using them, not really much of a choice is there. But to actively seek out ways to use a u brake when you could use a beautiful cheap modern deore v brake which not only beats every other v brake ever made but costs **** all, well, I do find that a bit doolally
Since when has any of this RetroBike malarkey ever made any sense?!* 🤪🤣 And often the least sensible ideas are the best, or at least that what we tell ourselves... 😳🤷‍♂️🤯

U brakes have character. With the right pads and set up they work well. Making the old tech perform is the fun part.

The clogging is an issue though. This was at the Cotswold Cross last month.
Had to keeping poking the clods out with a stick!
Still doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't want to go to the trouble to get an adapter plate made to use an inferior brake setup. But I also subscribe to a different philosophy than many on here, and as they say different strokes for different folks.

I only like old tech that I think genuinely was/is a great design and still holds up to this very day. For those horribly muddy conditions I'd never have picked anything but a hub brake. But kudos to you for making it work for you. It looked a fun time, if the bike's soiled condition is anything to go by :)

Since when has any of this RetroBike malarkey ever made any sense?!* 🤪🤣 And often the least sensible ideas are the best, or at least that what we tell ourselves... 😳🤷‍♂️🤯
Wait is this Retrobike? 🤪

Oh but that's the thing, I don't own any older bikes that require sourcing anything obsolete, and if it has stuff on there that's going to require me to bend over 2 times a day for some velo fetishist to source, it's going in the junk to be replaced with something more worthwhile and replaceable.

Was it not for the BMX crowd the u brake would have been flushed straight out into the sewers of forgotten tech

I had something similar BITD on my Mongoose Decade, It will let you mount the U brake to either stay bridge. U brake bosses are above the rim while canti bosses are below it. You might have to cut off the canti bosses on your frame or else they will foul on the u brake, or mount it on the reverse side. Odyssey used to supply big jubilee clips with these mounts to bind them to the stays, but probably not legally for safety reasons nowadays. Considering the wheels rotational direction, it will bend this kind of mount or the bolt pretty quickly if fitted with one bolt, still needs jubilee clips or weld to stop it from shifting side to side.
You don't need Solidworks for this, just offer up a small bannana to the frame and you'll see its not worth the faff

I love a u-brake me, and the majority of my old bikes have at least one. I used a Fishbone adaptor plate to fit a rollercam to my 1984 Cannondale, as it was a vast improvement over the stock rear BMX caliper, and it had no bosses on the frame. I really don't see the sense in mounting a u-brake on a frame built for canti's though, but each to their own :)

Absolutely, why bother with a U-brake when you can fit Magura Hydraulics with all their mounting hardware (even more the 'modern' EVOII versions.
Great braking
..with similar pain to remove a wheel,
..even greater area to clog up with leaves, mud and straw and grass,
..and no error room for a slightly bent rim.

• Haha
Reactions: Woz
Back