Is there a way to tell if this is titanium?

thats deffo ti. I know i've got a rep for saying everything breaks.. but its purely to help people & not pi$$ em off! I believe they were cast & had a nasty habit of cracking. do a search, fairly certain this has come up before with peteMcC being the bringer of bad news last time.

ffr - Nickle, Colbal and Iron are the only elements that are easily magnestised.

If you can't scratch it with your '853 dropouts' its Ti -failing that Ti smells diffrent too ;-)

Ti or not

Hi Guys
It looks like one of the early investment cast Ti aheads similar to the tahoma sonne alu. IIRC these were first seen around 93 - 94 maybe earlier on the S Works but they definately came on the 94 M2 Stumpy while the rest of the Stumpies, including the FSR had the tahoma. As Mike pionts out some of these early ones reportedly failed, the later ones were more substantial in their build.
Mike mentioned it before me so I am not the bearer of bad news, its him ;)

Jamie

specialized stem

Hey, what a response! thanks for the info guys. I don't plan on keeping it as it's too long for me (it came with a frame I bought 2 months ago) so your info is much appreciated.

scant":19wl90oe said:
thats deffo ti. I know i've got a rep for saying everything breaks.. but its purely to help people & not pi$$ em off! I believe they were cast & had a nasty habit of cracking. do a search, fairly certain this has come up before with peteMcC being the bringer of bad news last time.

Hell yeah! They used to crack a plenty (something to do with the forging process as they were forged not welded or CNCed). I was interested that hundreds of these flooded the market a few months back and they were everywhere on ebay - maybe someone at Specialized cleared out a warehouse and found a dusty box!

Here's one with the label on it showing it's ingredients:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-4-titanium-ahea ... dZViewItem

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
if you have a bench grinder and can sacrafice a few microns of metal, pop the corner of the faceplate n the wheel. Ti= big shower of white sparks, al just clogs up the wheel. .

of if you're real anorak. Fill a measuing cylinder with water, pup your stem in and measure the displaced volume of water. Now weight the stem and calculatethe density.
Al is 2.7 grams per cubic centimetre, (or 2700 kg m-3, or 2.7e-9 tomnnes mm-3 to keep it in SI metres or millimetres)

I'll get me coat. . . . ;)

Back