Is Retro faster?

My unscientific analysis is that retro is about as fast as modern, over the terrain our club rides here in the vicinity of Oporto cover. We do a fair bit of tarmac getting out of, and back into, the city, and most of the off-road trails we cover don't require suspension. I'm sure having suspension would help conserve energy over the lightly bumpy offroad sections we do, having a 24 lber (versus a 26-28 lber) without bobbing suspension will also provide an advantage to my retro bike at the level of a few per cent.

It's also quite nice knowing that my low tech, low cost machine can mix it with the multi thousand pound super-bikes and give a good account of itself.

Re: Re:

JamesM":2s1douh2 said:
Very subjective isn't it!!!
well maybe it's really subjective but not for nothing there is technology advances.

I find everything depends on the use. We grow old and our riding style changes, we do not go as wild as it was as a teenager and that's why we come out with a retro bikes. My former wild actions today I would rather do with modern bikes, I'm sure many accidents at that time had not happened to me with today's technic (not only requirement for suspension but also safe brakes and better drive unit).

retroyetirigid":2s1douh2 said:
Modern may well be faster, but I have loads more fun on a retro :D
This is the crucial point. ;)

Re:

I've done something I never thought I would and bought a full suspension, its a 1999 Marin East Peak so still an old bike but with its Fox Float R etc its still a very capable bike.
Initial impressions were of much more speed and far more comfort and I have ridden it a lot over the last few weeks.

Last week I dusted my 92 Karakoram off and took that for a blast with its newly fitted Mag21's and according to Strava rode much faster over many of the same trials.

I had a 1999 Marin MV Pro with an air rear shock. Was brilliant. Rode like a hardtail but had the comfort of FS. Not had an FS bike as good since. Regretted selling it really :(

Re:

The same question gets asked in golf. Are modern handicaps lower with all the modern technological advancements ? Answer no. The ave male HC is about the same. With the exception of a mental downhill course, most decent riders would post similar times on our old top quality retro rides IMO. Moderns bikes leave me cold styling wise too.

Re:

With a decent level of fitness, well seasoned experience, well maintained kit and panache, there's nothing better than slip streaming and slingshotting past several grand's worth of modern uber pro bike, on a 25 year old rigid steeler :xmas-big-grin:

Find a lot of modern bikes lack style or look over-sized/over-engineered or look just plain plug-ugly.

Re:

Is retro faster?...maybe

Am I 18yrs old?...no

Do I feel less abused after a stint on a modern ride?...yes

Can I ride for longer on modern?...yes

Do I still love retro?...of course!

Doug

So after 11 pages we can conclude someone riding fast on a vintage bike is faster than someone riding slowly on a modern bike.

:facepalm:

Back