Is my USE seatpost going to kill me?

Never had any issues, but have found that dependent on saddle, getting all the topmounting kit properly aligned and bedded in can bit a bit of a bugger. It'll look like it's all in place but there are lots of parts that mate up with each other and can sit awkwardly.

If it's squeaking, something's moving - therefore not right. If you can't work it out then I'd be buying another as frankly I'd rather reluctantly buy a new post than inherit an extra hole through a bum/seatpost interface.

Then polish the old post up and turn it into a lamp or something.

I had a USE bouncy seat post with a similar looking clamp. The saddle always seemed to slip and point up to the degree that if anything needed lubing, it was the saddle!

I had a USE post a few years ago and used to ride 10 miles every day along a rutted and bumpy disused railway line and i was around 16 stone, although it did creak occasionally and was a pain in the arse to get set up exactly as i wanted i never thought it would fail, even though i had it probably at it's maximum extention.

cannot comment on the USE but this did happen to me on another post and the culprit was indeed the saddle rails and the way they were making contact with the clamp plates. the whole clamping mechanism looks kind of like a deathwise. is that bottom plate bonded to the post itself or just laying on top on axis? probably best to retire it but you strike me as a ride it til' the wheels fall off kind of fella so, do that! any foretelling cracks will be the materials telling you 'no more no more'

that being said. have loved the channel for quite a while. awaiting more restoration and pickup videos for quite some time! the pace fork painting extravaganza was a beautiful disaster.
It does look like a deathtrap doesn't it? Probably because it is. Yes, the bottom plate (the semi-cylindrical cradle the rails sit on) just sits there, it's not fixed to anything. So if (when) one of those bolts gives the whole thing grenades and the rider dies. I'm starting to like the suggestions of retiring the thing and using it as an ornament. An excuse to go shopping for syncros, XT or equivalent I think.

Thanks for your kind words on my channel. There is a pile of parts on my workshop floor ready for the next film, plus at some point that Pace fork is getting restored as of course all the pink paint is peeling off in chunks. Whoever would have expected that to happen?

I broke a bolt on an identical USE after 10 years and goodness know how many miles - it was fatigue. I replaced them with 12-8 high tensile bolts and will do so again every couple of years.

I broke a bolt on an identical USE after 10 years and goodness know how many miles - it was fatigue. I replaced them with 12-8 high tensile bolts and will do so again every couple of years.
Now that is a good idea for salvaging the thing. Any recommendations on where I might find the world's strongest bolts?

USE suspension post probably has much less chance of breaking I would have thought
the force is taken out while moving down and up again

Back