Introducing Vera, a 1985 Land Rover 110 County

Re: Re:

Peachy!":mztrj78r said:
The idea that my tool set will get me around most of it is comforting.....
What's the deal with the defender badge on the front then?

Unless my eyes are tricking me, you don't have any defender badge on the front of yours (unsurprisingly, given it was made before they were called that.) The "Land Rover 110" logo is much nicer looking in my opinion anyway, I like the way the 1 is separate from the 10 to encourage you to say one ten instead of one hundred and ten :)

BTW although she's registered as November 1985, she's got the '86 2.5L TDi modified sometime in the 90's apparently.... sounds fantastic :cool:
I'd guess that's the 2.5TD, not one of the TDIs (200 and 300 TDI were later - came in along with the name change IIRC)

The 2.5TD is indirect injection and sounds a lot smoother than the later engines (but needs more preheating and doesn't have the same power or torque.) I quite like them though, with the turbo working it pulls well enough and should sit at 70MPH without too much problem.

Yours looks the same as the first one our family had back in the 80s, it was a 2.5 petrol. Its replacement two years later is still in the family today, although we did rebuild it nearly 20 years ago... I doubt many people will be doing that with the "new defender"!

That's the real beauty of the Land Rover, the modular way it was built - there's really nothing you can't replace or rebuild yourself with just a decent collection of normal tools, and there are several decades worth of vehicles you can use spares from.

Re: Re:

ajm":1r7i4exk said:
Unless my eyes are tricking me, you don't have any defender badge on the front of yours (unsurprisingly, given it was made before they were called that.) The "Land Rover 110" logo is much nicer looking in my opinion anyway, I like the way the 1 is separate from the 10 to encourage you to say one ten instead of one hundred and ten :)

You’re quite right.... I think I need to go to specksavers :facepalm: (strange how the mind plays tricks..)

I'd guess that's the 2.5TD, not one of the TDIs (200 and 300 TDI were later - came in along with the name change IIRC).

But not on this one. It’s been confirmed it’s definitely the TDi, and was fitted much latter. :cool:

All the same, I’m very happy to be pointed in the right direction by you guys when I’m going wrong, that’s the whole point of this thread.... :)

Attachments

• 2D66F24D-678A-4DE4-BF76-6CEA0C56D7C8.jpeg
    2D66F24D-678A-4DE4-BF76-6CEA0C56D7C8.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 2,535
Cracking bit of kit.
If you need help on parts or have issues with the spec etc, I manage a Land Rover dealership and would be happy to help with info for you.

I get my allocation of the new 2020 Defender on Monday and can’t wait to build a few amazing cars for my showroom and demonstrator fleet.

Si

Canyon_Si":26sdbje7 said:
Cracking bit of kit.
If you need help on parts or have issues with the spec etc, I manage a Land Rover dealership and would be happy to help with info for you.

I get my allocation of the new 2020 Defender on Monday and can’t wait to build a few amazing cars for my showroom and demonstrator fleet.

Si

Cool... when you’re sorted with them, post a showroom piccy here will you? :D

Nice Purchase Chris had a mate with a passion for 110s and defenders so spent a lot of time building chassis from the ground up. If your gonna keep it for a long time a galv chassis is a good upgrade and a winch for all those things you never knew you could do with a winch, like lifting bulk heads with a home made gantry :LOL:

Canyon_Si":pef4hyu8 said:
Cracking bit of kit.

Si

This going to be useless without photos! New thread with your showroom please!

I think LR have pulled a blinder with the new defender (I love my old one) and it will be a huge seller at the cost of the Discovery which quite the ugliest thing on the road.
In reality it looks like and I suspect will replace the popularity of Disco 4.
(just hope bodies don't need to be removed to replace turbo chargers :facepalm: )

kingbling":6dx50hde said:
Nice Purchase Chris had a mate with a passion for 110s and defenders so spent a lot of time building chassis from the ground up. If your gonna keep it for a long time a galv chassis is a good upgrade and a winch for all those things you never knew you could do with a winch, like lifting bulk heads with a home made gantry :LOL:

Fixed up the hayloft hoist when we re-roofed.
That way the purchase of the block and tackle came out of renovation budget approved by Mrs Peachy and not the ‘arsing about with knackered stuff’ budget that often gets vetoed.... ;)

Attachments

• EA313832-B22F-4BCA-A44F-D4DA8137E540.jpeg
    EA313832-B22F-4BCA-A44F-D4DA8137E540.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 2,475
Gerard":30c5ay25 said:
(just hope bodies don't need to be removed to replace turbo chargers :facepalm: )

You can actually replace the turbo with the body on ;)

I like the new defender as well and I also can see a lot of D4 owners getting defenders to replace them.

Nice one on the gantry Chris block and tackles are a useful bit of kit :D

kingbling":2odbi3ys said:
Nice one on the gantry Chris block and tackles are a useful bit of kit :D

Oh yes.... I’ve been drilling our Jimmy, so we can now remove a bike from the boot of the car, hook it up and disappear it into the hay loft without attracting any undue attention ;)

Tree hunt went well...... :xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• 9A53DFA4-92E4-4FD7-985B-4644D22F1C58.jpeg
    9A53DFA4-92E4-4FD7-985B-4644D22F1C58.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 1,983
Back