Insufferable swot with a dictionary up 'is arse, innit?

Re:

Soft closing toilet seats?! Just what I need for the ol' thunderbox!

74a52a52aba73614ff21a739aa97d4a4--outhouses-compost-toilet.jpg

Re: Re:

torqueless":3ncs6rix said:
OK I'll go to town on this... :)
If you can make light of it maybe it is because you are not (consciously) aware of how psychically draining it is to be constantly put on the alert for attributes that never get mentioned?

If someone says:

"My bikes are as good as your bikes"

that is OK. On the other hand, if that is what they mean to say, but instead say:

"My bike's are as good as your bike's"

your brain starts to run through all the possible permutations of what they mean. You can feel it happening.

Your bike's what is as good as my bike's what? Your bike's saddle is as good as my bike's axle grease? Your bike's brake cables are as good as my bike's paint job? The permutations are endless. Your brain has automatically run through hundreds of them beneath your conscious awareness. It is stuff like this that is at the root of all those mysterious chronic fatigue
type ailments..

The important thing is that I am U and you are not.

Rk.

Re:

hmm, it does and doesn't bother me, spelling and grammar.

i don't use capital letters much when typing on here, that might bother some but i'm not a typist so and it's an informal forum so i don't worry about it but i freely admit that i do read into it when i see bad spelling and grammar. typo mistakes are easy to spot, that's not bad spelling as such it's a miss typed key that hasn't been noticed.

facebook i find is worse, especially since i have joined 3 community pages to sometimes promote my business. i regularly see "Ime" instead of "I am" or "I'm", i also see a lot of people spell "hoping" with the "e" in place, "hopeing" etc, not to mention the usual miss uses of "there, their and they're".

the reason it does bother me is that it makes me have to re-read the sentence as initially it doesn't make sense to me but also it also makes you think that the author may not be particularly well educated and while i realise that's a bit harsh it can still be annoying as you don't know whether it's laziness or ignorance.

and bearing in mind that most computers and phones have automatic spell check there is no reason for people to get it wrong! i sometimes wonder if it's worth pointing it out though, i'd get the usual "you're a grammar nazi!" etc but there's a point when you're actually trying to help someone and they think you're just being an arse!

i usually just roll my eyes a bit and carry on though.

Sometimes I use slutty grammar and punctuation. It makes me feel dirty and alive.

Back