Improve performance of cantilever brakes

stephens1971

Retro Newbie
Hi
I have recently bought a Raleigh randonuuer which I am very happy with except I have never used canti brakes before which feel as if I have blocks of wood for pads.
What is the best way to improve brake performace is it as simple as new pads and could anyone recommend some.
Thanks Stephen

Pads definitely.

But also the straddle set up makes a bid difference.
If you have the straddle set up tight, ie a small-height triangle, you end up with a lot of movement at the pad, for a small lever movement. so, great clearance at the rim, but reduced power.

Lengthening the straddle cable helps, but there comes a point where the pads can virtually touch the rim, or else the lever is touching the bars on application, and it all feels very spongy

good luck, ive kinda given up with cantis and drop bars

Hi
I have recently bought a Raleigh randonuuer which I am very happy with except I have never used canti brakes before which feel as if I have blocks of wood for pads.
What is the best way to improve brake performace is it as simple as new pads and could anyone recommend some.
Thanks Stephen
A quick search on canti brakes on this forum should give more information than you ever thought was possible. Lots of discussion on this over the years.

Back