If You Think You're Hard....

A survivor from cycling's past . I have a couple of pre WW2 sunbeams. As with this lovely machine both to small for me to ride a long way ,so found new homes
I will have to pass on this . Chopping a few inches off the legs is to radical a move.

That's quite a find. When it comes to long drop brakes, those are on another level:

View attachment 816853

It has mudguard eyelets so obviously there's room for those, but still, why such massive clearances?

Nice example this bike is.

Rim brakes were relatively new (from about 1910s). They were fitted to more high end luxury models, but heavily advertised as an after-market safety product. They also had to fit around "demi-balloon" tyres and various rim sizes. In the pictures above, it appears they are bolted to the "brake bridge" and fork crown, but they are not, just clipped around the stays or fork blades.

More here if you like:
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/french-barn-find-buckets-of-patina.406532/page-11

This is triple wow. If only its history could be proven!

Does it have any history beyond being circa 100 years old? (which is plenty enough tbf). Could well have been some rich bloke saw the tour, and was inspired to have one made.

The seller is slightly naughtily inviting you to speculate that it might have been in a Tour, but aren't making any claims beyond that.

I'd definitely have it in the collection though!

A survivor from cycling's past . I have a couple of pre WW2 sunbeams. As with this lovely machine both to small for me to ride a long way ,so found new homes
I will have to pass on this . Chopping a few inches off the legs is to radical a move.
What's happened to your sense of adventure and commitment, Paul?!

Back