Identifying a Saracen?

Re:

So I think this is a Tufftrax Comp - which was actually a different frame than the Tufftrax - it's the newer style oversize tubing. If you look at the 1990 catalogue it says that.

I have a 1990 Traverse Comp - again of the oversized variety ;-)

I'll bet it's the same seat post size. I have it in the garage. Will check later. It's something weird like 29.x.

Leave it with me :)

Re:

It's 29.4.

TBH I'm not 100% sure it'll be the same as the Traverse - which has ovalised tubing.

Not sure I've seen a Tufftrax Comp on here....

Ok, I've added those details to the frame database for future reference:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/MTB_Frame_Database

If anyone wants to confirm the bottom bracket size or fork a-c feel free. And feel free to add details of other bikes, I didn't have time to go through the catalogue adding the rest at the moment, but if anyone has free time, please feel free to contribute!

Good plan on the database.

Re this bike, I think that you might have sussed it with the tufftrax comp actually.
Is there a way to check the seat tube measurement before I buy another seatpost?
It is somewhere in that ballpark, but I wouldn't have thought (based on zero knowledge) that it was quite that big.
With a tape measure and it opened up fairly wide I would say that it is 28mm. Not 29.4.
Or is 29.4 the external measurement of the tube?

I looked up the details on the 1990 catalogue for tufftrax comp.

Many aspects either match or are replacements.
The following match:

Chainset and mechs (as long as shimano 500lx can be exage 500LX)
Shifters: Catalogue - 500lx rapidfire LX. Bike - 7spd STI M050
Brakes: Cat - 500LX Bike - M454
Rims Alesi alloy black Bike- matches
Bars and stem are saracen.
Saddle. Possibly the same. States gel comfort.

Frame number on brake cable stop E01 1284

Re:

I guess you don't have vernier calipers? Borrow some or take the frame to a local bike shop.

Tape measure / ruler is never accurate enough.

Or buy a 29.4 from a place where you can return it cheaply / for free.

Or take a punt. I think mine cost £3.

I think it is time to pick up a set of calipers.
Yes, I shall probably pick up a cheap stem. Just I already got one and wanted to avoid buying three really.

Back