Identify this Colnago

Nick119

Devout Dirtbag
Hi everyone

Recently acquired this Colnago which I'd be grateful for your help to identify its year and to confirm the model.

Stickers indicate it's a Colnago Master, but I am not certain, because...

1) It has an Columbus SLX sticker, and I always thought that Masters were SL.
2) The gear cable router travels beneath the bottom bracket and many Masters were braized on top.

I appreciate that point two is debatable, as gear cable routing would have changed, but my research hasn't yet yielded the same design...

The frame's clovers are all nicely cut on the BB and the top of the downtube (only) and the Forks have very good embossing too. Lugs look very much in keeping with Colnago / Master designs

Sadly I cannot find a frame number in any of the usual places (drop-outs, or BB), but apparently Colnago weren't entirely reliable with numbering their frames anyway. However the fork tube has three stamps 1) "US", 2) "83" and 3) a columbus dove. Could this mean it was a US export built in 1983?

The reason for wanting to find this info out? I'd like to get it re-sprayed in keeping with the original era (has this frame been resprayed or is it original?) and to build it up with original era components.

Anyway - hopefully the following Flickr link will work where there are 18 images - https://www.flickr.com/photos/148819514@N06/

I'll await the forums help and expertise.

Thanks in advance...

I'm pretty certain it's an older (pre 1980) Super, definitely not a Master, and looks like a repaint so almost certainly SL, and the SLX a hopeful later addition.

Re:

Thanks for the msg Canuk

No - not bought on Ebay, it was from a bike enthusiast I have got to know over the last year or so.

He got hold of it from a nearby house clearance - but it was totally the wrong size for him. He gave me first refusal. It was kitted out with Shimano 600 Tricolour components.

Yeh - I was wondering whether it was not actually a Master too and have trawled old Colnago catalogues and Google images to see if it matches any early / pre 1980's frames. No luck yet. The forks are definietly early but the gear cable routing is hard to place.

I'm 99% certain it's not SLX too as neither can I see evidence of the 'rifling' inside the tubes.

Thanks for any further help...

If you could post some pics of the left and right hand chainstay I could help further.
It might be a Colnago International or a Sport, which was their kind of 'export model', not as nice as a Super but still a Colnago!

Thanks Canuk - That sounds really promising - and could link in nicely with my thoughts on the 'US' stencil indicating an export model...

I'll try and get some more pictures uploaded later tonight....

The sport had 3 top tube cable guides which was unusual for a Colnago, the international iirc only had 2 :)

Shaun

Blimey - just watched the last 20k's of this years Milan San Remo...!

OK - have updated the photostream to include pictures of both L&R chainstays...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14881...674[URL] Thanks for any further knowledge...

Back