I need to gain some weight fast.

perry":2kb0fic3 said:
ive had this for a while but cant remember where i copied it from

Boost your alertness with protein. Protein foods are broken down into their amino acid building blocks during digestion. One amino acid, called tyrosine, will increase the production of dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine. These neurotransmitters are known for their ability to increase levels of alertness and energy. No one eats pure tyrosine, but eating foods high in protein will give you a slight mental boost. High protein foods include fish, poultry, meat, and eggs. If you can't eat those, try high protein foods that also contain significant amount of carbohydrates, such as legumes, cheese, milk, or tofu.

For relaxation and anti-stress, eat carbohydrates. Eating carbohydrates will trigger the release of insulin into the blood stream. Insulin goes about clearing all the amino acids out of the blood, with the exception of tryptophan. Tryptophan is an amino acid that normally gets crowded out by other amino acids in its attempt to cross the blood brain barrier, but when its competitors are out of the way, it enters the brain en mass. Once in the brain, the tryptophan is converted to serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that has the effect of reducing pain, decreasing appetite, and producing a sense of calm, and in too large a quantity, inducing sleep. Research has shown that dieters tend to become depressed about two weeks into a diet, about the time their serotonin levels have dropped due to decreased carbohydrate intake. Healthy carbohydrate foods to turn to for anti-stress include whole grain breads and crackers, whole grain pasta, rice, cereal, and fruits.

For the most beneficial effect of either carbohydrate or protein, eat them separately. For example, the energy boosting effect of protein will be offset if you start out a lunch of fish (pure protein) with a roll (mostly carbohydrate). Make the protein the first food that you eat, and then, go lightly on the carbohydrate if it is mental alertness you are after.

Caffeine can be an effective antidepressant. Despite its bad rap, caffeine can do some good. For mild cases of depression which do not need medical attention, a little caffeine can be an effective antidepressant. It has the added benefit of not needing to increase the dosage daily to get the same effect. Long term epidemiological evidence more than supports the safety of a cup or two of coffee a day. More than that however can begin to have counterproductive effects in some people.

Likewise, folic acid is an important counter to depression. Folic acid deficiencies have been linked to depression in clinical studies. Folic acid deficiency causes serotonin levels in the brain to decrease. Psychiatric patients with depression have much higher rates of folic acid deficiency than the general public. As little as 200 micrograms was enough to relieve the depression -- that amount is easily obtained in a cup of cooked spinach or a glass of orange juice.

Lack of selenium can cause bad moods. Individuals suffering from a lack of selenium have been shown to be more anxious, irritable, hostile, and depressed than their non-lacking counterparts. Correcting deficiencies normalizes mood, but getting more does not elevate mood further. It is speculated that selenium may have some unknown neural function, but as of yet, its mode of action is unknown. Be sure to get your daily dose by eating a Brazil nut, or tuna sandwich, sunflower seeds, whole grain cereals, or swordfish.

Put eggs back in your diet to improve memory and concentration. One nutrient that many of us are apt to be low on, in our fervor to avoid high-cholesterol foods, is choline. Choline is a B complex vitamin that is concentrated in high cholesterol foods like eggs and liver. A lack of choline can cause impairment of memory and concentration. Choline is a precursor to the brain neurotransmitter, acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is linked to memory. People given drugs that block acetylcholine flunk memory tests. Low levels of acetylcholine have been linked to Alzheimer's disease and poor memory. What a good excuse to put eggs back on your diet plan!

its not hard to find this stuff :LOL:
Reading all that made me depressed. Think I will give it a go.

I wrote a long and detailed post about my views on this, which I've decided not to put up here. But I want to say this.
Honestly, you people have no idea at all. If your lives were not so different, things might have worked out very differently for you, and before you pass judgement you should remember that.
Honestly, I feel sorry for the family in this article. Not because they aren't getting enough benefits, they ought to work like the rest of us; I feel sorry for them because there's no way they will ever be able to change without external influence, and that's something they'll never have.

Easy_Rider":1nd5rs72 said:
The gene thing is true to a certain extent

No, no its not. The human body is essentially a machine, there are certain genetic or environmental factors that influence the way that it works but at a base level, if you consume more calories than you use you will put on weight. If you consume less calories than you burn, or burn more than you consume, you will lose weight. It really is as simple as that.

chris667":1nd5rs72 said:
I wrote a long and detailed post about my views on this, which I've decided not to put up here... I feel sorry for them because there's no way they will ever be able to change without external influence, and that's something they'll never have.

Each and every one of us is responsible for our own actions and our own lives. I do appreciate that there are often 'trying' times when things are hard and we have to deal with difficult, upsetting or emotionally fraught situations, but it is up to us to deal with them, move on and try to make the most of our lives. Blaming the lack of 'external influence' is a cop out. Its classic 'not my fault guv' mindset.

These people are weak and lazy and a drain on the system.

I also think that they are lazy , but i also agree with chris667 when he says that they wont get ou of it alone . they have gone too far .

would they accept help is another matter .

Russell":3kojpbuj said:
Each and every one of us is responsible for our own actions and our own lives. I do appreciate that there are often 'trying' times when things are hard and we have to deal with difficult, upsetting or emotionally fraught situations, but it is up to us to deal with them, move on and try to make the most of our lives. Blaming the lack of 'external influence' is a cop out.
You may not realise it, Russell, but you are standing on the shoulders of giants to be where you are today.
If you were born into that family, certainly as a kid and probably as an adult you'd look just like they do, because that's all you'd know.
Russell":3kojpbuj said:
Its classic 'not my fault guv' mindset.
These people are weak and lazy and a drain on the system.
And yours is a classic Daily Mail reader's mindset.

cchris2lou":esm0pk9u said:
would they accept help is another matter .

Certainly in our area there are projects that help people with these issues recognise the problems with their life styles and address them but I think it also comes down to example.

Lat year I visited family in the States. My aunt was amazed that I walked each day from her house to the nearby Country Park to run each morning. She didn't even realise that it was easy to walk there ( about 10 minutes) as she, like most Americans, went by car if she went at all!

When I called her Christmas time she said that my visit had changed her life - since then she had walked in the Country park each day - lost one and a half stone and felt better than she had done for years - and she is in her 70s!

I had no intention of lecturing her when I was there but I was amazed and rather touched about what she had done

So you never know!

You're quite right chris667, and as you know me so well, you're perfectly placed to make those statements about me aren't you.

:roll:

And just so that I'm clear, what exactly do you mean when you say "And yours is a classic Daily Mail reader's mindset"?

To be fair we are all able to have an adult debate on here, thats why i hang around, and I reckon we are. listening to each other is the way.

Chris is right too. The GF and I came from pretty much 'poor' backgrounds, there's some real scratters on the estate where GF grew up, they were really badly off in the 80's when building work really dried up with 3 kids to feed, so diversification of doing any old job and coppering up came in. but because the richness of GF's mum and dads love affection and intelligence they grew up to be good honest people and with very amazing careers to boot not easy being the kid trying to learn in school. people on the estate are nicking things breaking things and generally sponging and wrong doing.

Suppose its easy to point at the individuals it stems deeper and wider than that. community and of course how the country is run.....

Loads of people on TV programmes etc have proven that getting misfits into society and out of their bubble does good things.

:)

Russell, I apologise. I shouldn't make personal comments about you, we're all friends here.
But your views on this matter really offend me.
(Edit - Reanimation posted before me - what he said)

Back