I.D. Cards; Should They Be Mandatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a tin hatter you can't believe what you are saying surely? People give their personal details such as email, telephone number, debit/credit card number, security code, home address, mobile number, home number, car registration, employment details to all kinds of people, amazon, jd sports, online shopping, paypal, insurance comparison websites, domino's and the list goes on. If you seriously believe non of these have back doors to government then you do not understand how the internet increased so quickly and with government support

They already have what they already want, what they seem to be asking is little more than you carrying the hardcopy

I had the local bobbins turn up the other week as a vehicle I own was subject to a 'supposed' complaint.

They practically broke into the place, we were playing loud music so initially didn't hear the 'bell'.

Upon conversing with them, and setting them right about the civil nature of their enquiry, one asked for my details. I gave them my mobile number, and reminded them they had the rest. Once I did my sister in law asked them what they were up to, wasting time on a non police matter, and treating a member of the public as a criminal.

Bats. I have no inclination to refer you to the actual law. You are clearly too dense to read the article you linked to and come to the correct conclusion, ergo you are thinking shite as well as talking shite. You are a haverer. That is coming from me. Ironic.

KDM":3cv788kq said:
For a tin hatter you can't believe what you are saying surely? People give their personal details such as email, telephone number, debit/credit card number, security code, home address, mobile number, home number, car registration, employment details to all kinds of people, amazon, jd sports, online shopping, paypal, insurance comparison websites, domino's and the list goes on. If you seriously believe non of these have back doors to government then you do not understand how the internet increased so quickly and with government support

They already have what they already want, what they seem to be asking is little more than you carrying the hardcopy

Room 641A and FAIRVIEW makes quite interesting reading, GCHQ are partners to those involved and according to the EU participate - ECHELON.

That's the thing that gets me, the fear of ID cards as a slippery slope. They already throw black bags over people's heads for "extraordinary rendition". That is the scary evil thing.

What people need to accept is:

1) The scary men who can send you to a government torture dungeon already exist

2) they've already rooted through your stuff

3) you're too boring for them to bother kidnapping you

Grand, I think we all knew that already - so what most seem to be agreed on is that there's no point in adding a requirement to carry ID cards as these would be expensive to implement and entirely pointless anyway.

Re:

When you've been naughty or are suspected of same you can be required t supply sufficient information to enable you to be verified or be subject to arrest for that purpose. Sec25 I think.

Been a while.

And bats, I've never read such a load of scaremongering rabble rousing cobblers.

In different words I agree with you bats in that many of the scare stories against cards are already in place so do not need cards to do what they do. Cards would be more for frontline services such as hospitals, doctors, councils etc, the front line services that are under the greatest load

Whilst some moan about them, it will be a card of entitlement most of these same people reach for when going on holiday in the eu (the medical card) or an holiday insurance letter/card when going abroad so providing id for services seems to be no problem what so ever for some when it suits

KDM":3w1mvzk1 said:
...providing id for services seems to be no problem what so ever for some when it suits

Exactly, but not, I think, like you mean. I have no problem whatsoever with producing ID to open a bank account, get a passport etc. I do have a problem with being obliged to carry some stupid bit of plastic about with me wherever I go, on the offchance I'm going to be stopped by some government official.

When you go on holiday within the eu, do you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and do you carry it around with you the entire time? If you do, do you carry a wallet around with you with your driving licence with you? both maybe asked for by some government official overseas at some point.

If you go on all inclusive holiday and are told to keep the wrist band on to ensure you are entitled to all inclusive benefits, do you remove it through worry some official of the hotel may have to identify you correctly?

So what is it that means you will happily carry identity cards for some purposes whilst overseas but you have a strong objection to doing the exact same thing here?

Re: Re:

The History Man":34jvidm9 said:
And bats, I've never read such a load of scaremongering rabble rousing cobblers.

No, it is factually true:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get ... XML+V0//EN

The participating countries were extremely pissed off by this EU investigation and it's conclusion: They're spying on us, and there is no way to stop it.

As for black bags over your head kidnappings, please google "extraordinary rendition".

Re: Re:

Bats":3j02wreh said:
The History Man":3j02wreh said:

No, it is factually true:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get ... XML+V0//EN

The participating countries were extremely pissed off by this EU investigation and it's conclusion: They're spying on us, and there is no way to stop it.

As for black bags over your head kidnappings, please google "extraordinary rendition".

Lots of things are factually true. People crash their cars in fatal accidents. Some even use them as weapons. True. But we don't tell people not to drive or ban vehicles. For 99% of drivers it's not an issue. If you drive safely and do nothing wrong etc....

The same applies to suspicious or illegal behaviour. I'm not likely to get rendered down as I've not been up to much lately. If i had I should hopefully be worried. I'll wager that your audience on here is similar, so stop trying to extrapolate such measures from a discussion about being able to be identified easily and appropriately. Absolutely ridiculous to do so.

And before you go on about innocents being trampled under the ....etc Don't bother. Had that discussion many times and for real concerning real people, making real decisions. Not on a bicycle forum. I bet mistakes continue to be made, rights abused. But proportionally when compared to and balanced agianst the behaviour of others seeking to harm our citizens, I'll live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back