I.D. Cards; Should They Be Mandatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
highlandsflyer":1iu9pcc4 said:
Bats":1iu9pcc4 said:
As such it's always been illegal to refuse to say who you are, so having an ID card is not taking anything away off you.

You are talking shite.
This post was made by Bats who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

^^^It's a godsend. Commie free zone.

In answer to the original question, absolutely not.

Just another way for the state to take that bit more control. Expensive to implement. And I'd argue pretty pointless until we can a) stop illegals getting in and b) can account for and issue a card to all the illegals already here.

95% of us can carry a card all day long and be no trouble. But if the 5% we don't know about are wombling free... and I'd argue that 5% is likely to be more of a concern than the rest together.

Re:

Much of what's been happening however, has been completely homegrown tho

Yes they may have travelled, but UK nationals nonetheless

highlandsflyer":8ot4subo said:
Bats":8ot4subo said:
As such it's always been illegal to refuse to say who you are, so having an ID card is not taking anything away off you.

You are talking shite.

have a nosey:

https://freedomnews.org.uk/do-you-have- ... address-2/

You are required to stop and account for yourself if they tell you to. There's wiggle room in that it doesn't specifically include your name, but knowing coppers asking you to account for yourself will be phrased: "who are you?".

If you're suspected of something, which is probably why coppers would be demanding to know who you are, then they can bang you up specifically to find out.

This is before getting into small stuff like you being in charge of a vehicle. Who here rides bicycles?

If the scary totalitarian government with it'd ID cards is all that scary and totalitarian, they won't need ID cards to get you. Just a black bag over your head, bundled in the van and away you go.

Re: Re:

unkleGsif":kyjkazrb said:
Much of what's been happening however, has been completely homegrown tho
I'm not saying otherwise. But what's the point in having ID cards for some and not all? It's all or nothing, and we cannot do all, so it has to be nothing.

My finances, like my bikes, are retro. If I haven't got the cash in my pocket or bank account, then I simply do not buy it. However every time I leave home I take my wallet with me, it has a library card, a donor card, a driving licence and my bank debit card so having an id card in there too will make no difference at all.

No one will have taken away my human rights by having the card and in most cases you would have given your private details to so many companies that one more will make no difference

Bats your are talking bolloks.

"Finally, I should add that there is no statutory power for the police to require someone to "stop and account" for themselves, but the police can and do frequently do so. The police are entitled to ask you what you are up to, but unless they exercise their further powers of stop and search or arrest you, you are entitled to walk away – though please see our first advice clinic piece when we advised that it might be sensible to confirm your basic details.

If the police do stop and ask you to account for your presence in a place, you do not have do provide any personal details and the police must, according to the codes, make a record of your ethnicity."

KDM":2435jqtl said:
No one will have taken away my human rights by having the card and in most cases you would have given your private details to so many companies that one more will make no difference
Disagree. This wouldn't be a company, it would be the government. A government IT system. Not normally noted for their low cost, ease of implementation or smooth operation. And it would consist of everything, of everyone in one handy place. Which is potentially of some value, and not to anyone legit.

And what happens when it inevitably goes wrong? Database error? Imagine trying to convince the polis/court/big brother you are in fact person B when the card says you're person A. An absolute **** up waiting to happen.

And for anyone in the 'don't mind' camp - what are the benefits? Haven't heard much of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back