How to restore the bike

I have to agree with the two comments above, especially with that horrible cut out in the chain stay, it looks early 1990s generic Raleigh type, the lug work on the frame matches one of the ones I'm doing, however my rear brake cable routing is through a brazed in tube in the top frame, you seem to have a rough hole on the seat post end but I cannot see the exit near the stem. There seems to be lot of indents in the frame also, all these will need to be filled in otherwise they will show up through any future paintwork.

Its difficult to see the frame number is there any lettering with the numbering.

Maybe clean up & sell the components off, or keep them & look for a something not so deteriorated.

Re:

Look for something that has Reynolds 531 tubing first of all. Other tubing manufacturers made great lightweight tubing too. Less rust problems with high quality tubes. Anything dented can be an issue but small dents if its going to be painted can be ok.

Something with nice lugs is usually a quality builder.

Classic Lightweights website is great for information on builders, parts and restoration. Read up and research can save you time and money.

Simon

Back