How to Flip a worn Cog

First a self-correction;
I wrote the above after experimenting with a Shimano 7 speed cassette, which does have three pins/rivets to hold the main cluster of cogs together.

When I came to repeat the process on the live Sram 7 speed cassette, I discovered it has two pins and one minute 1mm Allen screw holding the cluster together (the type mentioned by a previous poster), making disassembly of the cogs easier.

For those who like a happy-ending: This is not for you :)

When I attempted to slide the cassette on with its cogs flipped, I found Mr. Cheese's comment still holds valid, and the cassette will not slide onto the freehub.

Why not?

Because Mr. Shimano-san (and copied by Mr. Sram) pre-empted this particular codge by manufacturing one of the splines narrower than the rest, and its adjacent spline wider than the others. So if you try to flip the cogs, as I have done, the cassette has the narrow spline to the right of the widest spline, but the freehub still has the narrow spline to the left of the widest spline. Result; Like shy Giant Pandas: They just won't mate.

Conclusion:
On modern Sram and Shimano 7 speed cassettes (and 8,9,10 speed too) it is not possible to flip any cog.

You +have to+ either replace the worn cogs, or buy a whole new cassette.

Congratulations to Mr. Cheese, please send an SAE to claim your prize of a coveted day-glo Turbo sticker.

cmjc":21s52q6l said:
Mr. Shimano-san (and copied by Mr. Sram) pre-empted this particular codge by manufacturing one of the splines narrower than the rest, and its adjacent spline wider than the others. So if you try to flip the cogs, as I have done, the cassette has the narrow spline to the right of the widest spline, but the freehub still has the narrow spline to the left of the widest spline. Result; Like shy Giant Pandas: They just won't mate.

Conclusion:
On modern Sram and Shimano 7 speed cassettes (and 8,9,10 speed too) it is not possible to flip any cog.

You have to dremel the spline slot wider to make it fit.
I find it cheaper to buy the Park chain checker and replace chains at the 100% wear mark. Then it's usually 5 chains worn out before needing a new cassette.

Won't the Hyperglide ramps be the wrong way around now and not work?

Thought it was only old uniglide that you could reverse?

Carl.

drcarlos":hztyv8zo said:
Won't the Hyperglide ramps be the wrong way around now and not work?
It'll work, but shift like shit and require over shifting and endless fettling. It may also ghost shift over poor terrain.

drcarlos":hztyv8zo said:
Thought it was only old uniglide that you could reverse?
Yup. pretty much

Re:

Probably more man hours spent on this thread than to earn the tenner to buy a new cassette

hamster":1axqhubv said:
cmjc":1axqhubv said:
Mr. Shimano-san (and copied by Mr. Sram) pre-empted this particular codge by manufacturing one of the splines narrower than the rest, and its adjacent spline wider than the others. So if you try to flip the cogs, as I have done, the cassette has the narrow spline to the right of the widest spline, but the freehub still has the narrow spline to the left of the widest spline. Result; Like shy Giant Pandas: They just won't mate.

Conclusion:

You have to dremel the spline slot wider to make it fit.
I find it cheaper to buy the Park chain checker and replace chains at the 100% wear mark. Then it's usually 5 chains worn out before needing a new cassette.

Good suggestions Sir :)

Back