Wanted How to deal with fear after a fall?

slimer90

Retro Newbie
o in November 2021 i had a pretty bad fall and got my arm in a cast for 2 weeks. Back then i had a pretty shitty city bike no suspension no nothing, but recently i bought a new mountain bike. Since i fell like 4 months ago i havent ridden a bike (because of winter) but ever since then when i ve tought about 192.168.0.1 router login 192.168.l.l doing jumps or even just riding i always lose control and fall in my head, and when i actually go around and ride my bike i always have this looming feeling of not being in control and feeling unstable. What do you do to get over this?

Last edited:
Get straight back on as soon as you can, take it easy and rebuild your confidence. Try seeing yourself riding with belief and the easy assuredness that comes from experience rather than visualizing another fall.

Get riding. Keep it simple at first, and build into it gradually. Then consider some tuition to build you skills and reduce the chances of a repeat, and to boost your confidence.

drink beer......then ride! do not ask me for maritial advice!:p seriously, i had a 6 foot drop off i rode every day on the way to the shops. sloping ground and a horizontal wall. rode it hundreds of times (zaskar for trials 90's days). one day, my steerer tube snapped on landing. my teeth hit the concrete! i rebuilt the bike that night with different forks and rode off the wall again! but never did it after that! i realised i was getting older and had young children.......and a mrs who told me to stop being an idiot! not advice......just a memory you brought back!

I really feel for you.

I had a very serious motorbike smash.....not my fault in any way...hit from behind whilst stopped at a zebra crossing! That was 25 years ago......to be honest, i never really got fully over it.

As zetecmk2 said above, you start to think not necessarily about the accident, or that it might happen again ( it probably wont) but also about the consequences of an accident in all walks of your life.

After i got out of hospital and spent another 6 months getting my walking back to something like normal, I realised that was more important than anything else. I stopped riding sports bikes, but modifed my behaviour and took up marathon running and riding weird custom stuff i build (slower and far less miles per year!).

Life is all about risks, but all risks need to be balanced.....risk vs gain.....

Then again, i shattered my thumb on a mtb......never even thought twice about getting back on......small risk vs big gain.....

Do go back to cycling as soon as you can, as you might find your absolutely ok.

Asking for advice is tricky, as really its up to your own personal risk / gain balance to answer if anything in life is worth it.

However, im sure we are all more than happy to offer support.

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back