How small is small

Blandy64

Retro Newbie
Found an ideal GT Timberline for sale in good condition, from the pics. However its a 14inch frame....I'm 5'7 would that be too small to ride? Unfortunately the bike is to far away for me to go and check

Any excuse to post a pic of my next project...😁
I'd say yes too small as standard set up...however done like this...all's good as a comfy crash about cruiser thing👍
I'm just shy of 5'10 and it's a 15" frame GT timberline btw...

Screenshot_20220719-175714.jpg

I'm around 5'8 and I had a 15" pinarello, I ended up having to use a 400m seat post to get it comfortable to ride for me, I've found the best frame sizes are 17-19 inch depending on style, so as Mickey said unless your going to do some modifications to it you'll be better with a slightly larger frame Screenshot_20220720-095002_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
If it's 14.5" GT measurement, then C-T will be at least 15.5". It depends a lot on how you like to set your bike up, but I would say that would be fine for 5'7"

Welcome to Retrobike.

I'm 5'4 and most of my bikes are 15.5" - 16" centre to top. I've got quite a long torso and short legs. I usually run a 120mm stem and I'm comfortable.

GT measure centre to centre and you should be ok

GT used C-C, so for example my 18" is 20.5" c-T and my 20" is 22.5" C-T.

Unless they changed, the smallest size was 14.5, then 16, so I would guess yours is a 14.5" frame.
Hmmm I'm going to wander in the shed later and have a measure ...I think I have something even smaller than the one in my pic above 🤔
Wish all manufactures could just stick to CTC....

Hmmm I'm going to wander in the shed later and have a measure ...I think I have something even smaller than the one in my pic above 🤔
Wish all manufactures could just stick to CTC....

Late 90s I think they added a 12.5" at the smallest end of the range ... I kind of lose track after about 1994.

5,10 and ride a 16" on one. has a long top tube though. might be a shade on the wrong side of small.

I asked my partner, she said "no dear you aren't" but she was laughing at the time.

Back