How old is retro?

pete_mcc":3nrv7fq4 said:
GarethPJ":3nrv7fq4 said:
It's important, I feel, to distinguish between nostalgia and retro. Yes, when I see a Maverick I feel nostalgic, somebody half my age wasn't even born when the Maverick was introduced, but the fact that they can't feel any nostalgia for 1985 doesn't preclude them from riding and enjoying an early Maverick.

No but it procludes them from being liked by me as they are far too young! ;)

I think it's an interesting one as more and more people start getting into retro bikes there is going to be less and less of a 'nostalgia' thing, people won't build up bikes because they were what they rode BITD. They will probably focus more on interesting bikes and ones with a bit of hertitage or history and will probably throw more money at them than we are now. Also probably means that there will be less of the eclectic builds that we do (because they were the bits we wanted back then) and more of a focus on 'factory finishes' and documented builds

I have to agree, I am still new to the Retro build scene, but I am buying parts that I couldn't afford when I was 14 and putting them on bikes that I used to see in my local shop and lust after. If someone wasn't riding back then, lusting after exotic kit in magazines, it's difficult to see how they will appreciate the bikes in the same way?

hamster":132or728 said:
Personally I'm with Gareth, but there are plenty of collectors here, so let them have their fun. I don't run old (some would say historic) rear mechs and tyres because I am happy to use and wear new stuff out.

The purists (collectors) will shudder that my 1994 bike has a custom spray job, but so be it.

Let's not criticise other people's hobbies. They are no more (or less) pointless than your own.

Agree

I have riser bars on my 94 build...ruins it lol

Great thread, and many funny posts. Now my 2 Cents...

Retro - "per my Word dictionary" modeled on something from the past such as a style of fashion or music.

Retro does not mean what has been implied here.

There are plenty of custom frame builders here in the states making fine crafted steel retro style bikes - fully rigid and single speeding are very popular and you don't have to look far to find a fixed gear bike down town. There are also some small shops making sweet brand new retro syle CNC parts (Paul, White Industry, Chris King). Although this is retro syle, that is not what we're doing here.

I know what some of you are thinking with the golden era of mountain biking since I too lived it. The can of worms was a perfect visual.

Early Mountain Bike 78-88 (steel, toe clips, moose bars, blue jeans, friction shifting or Single speed, Helmet?)

Golden Era Mountain Bike 88-98 (Rapid development, steel - aluminium - Titanium - carbon fiber?), rock shox, SPD, Lycra, Neon, Horst Link, Helmet!)

Modern Era Mountain Bike 98-08 (Consolidation of bike companies, Trail Bikes, Long Travel bikes, Carbon Fiber!, Disc Brakes, brifters, pedal assist-dampening, single speed, 29'ers)

For each of us there will be fondest memories and nostalgia from different eras depending on when we got into the sport or when we had the best times.

Now go ride!

BarneyRubble":30zok1cv said:
I have to agree, I am still new to the Retro build scene, but I am buying parts that I couldn't afford when I was 14 and putting them on bikes that I used to see in my local shop and lust after. If someone wasn't riding back then, lusting after exotic kit in magazines, it's difficult to see how they will appreciate the bikes in the same way?

A good bike is a good bike. Why should somebody who doesn't remember it first time round fail to appreciate it now? Does this mean you have to be about 90 years old to ride a pre WW2 bike?

Back