How do you open brake levers clamps so that the brakes move over the bars easier?

Wooden or plastic wedge....nothing metal....unless you don't want the paint or to keep the shape of the clamps nice!

I just use a set of circlip pliers (locking type) to remove stuck clamps on bars. It’s especially useful for riser bars in quill stems.

Edit, but of course it may slightly damage item/bar. In my case I didn’t care what happened to either.

Do you have a picture?

Always just used a flat blade screwdriver with a bit of cloth over it, though you can still score the metal if not careful. The bolt threaded through from the other side with a shim as mentioned above is the most common and effective method used.

can you get to both sides of the clamp bolt hole?
if yes, take the clamp bolt out, put it in from the other side (so it's threaded on the side with the bolt in now) and slide a shim of metal in to the slot. now tighten the bolt to spread the clamp.
Used this method on Son's BMX cranks before

Yeah, the old penny trick is a good one if one side is threaded. It's got to be a British penny to work right though.

You can also get plastic wedges from any hardware store - usually from the flooring section. They can be built up for different widths.

1685702378754.png

Back