Horizontal dropout frames?

Thanks for the advice all - this is good to know :)

Definitely want a front sus fork so I don't think I'll be looking at '90 Stumpies etc. I have the Saracen if I want a rigid s/s, even if it is a little heavy.

Kilauaea is bordering on too big for me as it's a 20" and I'm only just 6" :facepalm:

I have my eye on the above posted Voodoo frame on eBay - the seller's not posted the size but the frame measurements in millimetres instead. Seems to be 19" ctt, and it measures up to be almost the same size as my Cinder Cone but with a slightly higher top tube - so that'll work.

I think I'll bid on it and see what happens, then maybe move out into looking for other frames if it comes to it :)

If it's a 19" centre-to-top then it should fit you at 6' - I'm that tall and that's the size frame I have; fits like a glove. Running (I think) a 100mm stem and 680mm bars.
DSC_0262_zpsos07nk05.jpg

Well I missed out on that Voodoo as there was a flurry of bids at the last second.
Time to start looking into alternatives I think.

Re:

Shocked it only went for £50 tbh..!

If you're set on wanting rim brakes as as option, then steel frames with slot/sliding dropouts are very thin on the ground indeed - all the options have been listed already, with the exception of the early On-One Inbred frames (normal and 853 varieties).

If you're happy to run discs then a whole raft of modern steel frames is available, but nothing like as cheap as that Voodoo was - for example, there's a 19" Orange P7 frame on Pinkbike at the moment; high quality steel, sliding dropouts, £280 (£600 new)!

If you can measure chainstay length to within a mm then there's magic gear calculators online that will tell you what gear you can run without a tensioner. Alternatively, you can get an eccentric BB to fit a standard shell, or a White Industries Eno eccentric rear hub, both of which aren't cheap.

Or you could just run a £15 tensioner and use any damn frame you like! ;-)

I don't mind using discs, but I know I can set up Vs well, whereas I'm not sure what discs are like, having never used them.
I have a tensioner in stock, it's just I've heard bad things about them, and when I put it on my last s/s briefly, it made the chain jump.

Time to see what frames are available, I think. I definitely want high-end but I think s/s specific frames are going to be £££.

Anybody got a Team Marin/Marin Team Issue frame :LOL:

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":fmlkdh8l said:
Or you could just run a £15 tensioner and use any damn frame you like! ;-)

Tensioners are fine for someone to 'try out' running a singlespeed to see if they like it, but they are a poor alternative to a properly setup singlespeed IMHO. They create extra drag, noise and defeat half the purpose of getting rid of a derailleur in the first place. If you are convinced you want to singlespeed, do it properly. ;)

Back