Hope XC rear hub bearings?

The solid shells are fine to beat a bit, I've popped a to glide (cracked to be fair) trying to salvage bearings but it took a huge skelp to do it!

Re:

Update... The LBS has managed to separate the parts and rebuild the hub :D
At a cost of £45 :(
Well, it was my choice to pay someone else to do the work, so I can't grumble too much. However, the wheelset only cost me £120 second hand earlier this year, so next time I'll just attempt the job myself, and if something breaks then so be it..

£45 :shock:
Next time send it to me and ill sort it for you.

boxxer":3f8lluno said:
The solid shells are fine to beat a bit, I've popped a ti-glide (cracked to be fair) trying to salvage bearings but it took a huge skelp to do it!

I always use the solid axle to hammer the bearings out
Caps off and freehub if rear
Thump axle till it comes out taking one bearing with it
Remove bearing from axle(i use a hole drilled through a bench) axle slips through and the bearing up against the surface and it taps out.
Reverse axle and hammer it back through the hub the other way to remove the 2nd bearing and repeat the process to remove it from the axle.
Job done

I hold the hub in my hand when i hammer the axle. I feel it adds a bit of cushioning :?
Drifting them out proper i do the same ,holding the hub in one hand and using my thumb to hold the drift at an angle against the bearing edge.

The solid hubs body is about 7mm thick at its thinnest. Ive cut a few up to retrieve the ratchet rings and the construction is pretty damn solid.

Re:

Yeah, £45, ffs :roll:

Bearings were £5 a piece (x4), the rest was labour charges as it was apparently well seized up.

Doing it myself would have cost half that , at most...

Lesson learned... :)

Latest posts

Back