Hope 5-bolt spider.

We were talking about this earlier.
Do you think laser cutting would be accurate enough for it Dan?

There's no easy way to make a 6 bolt version because the lockring is 42.5mm.

IIRC the design's a bit 3D for laser cutting, but in terms of the tolerance, I don't see a problem. The spline is curved, so it'll just wind up a little until the driveside slopes meet. The cut edge taper would be pretty small, unlike waterjet or plasma.

I've had some pretty good 4mm thick parts made by laser cutting alu, and some pretty terrible 'furry' edged ones needing a lot of re-work too. It seems to depend on the power and travel speed, and if the laser cutters can be arsed to set it up right for aluminium.

I'll dig the model up tomorrow and have a look.

All the best,

It's too bad the spline pattern on King's Universal Disc Hubs is different.

h-rotoradp.jpg

10273966_874056352611321_3256937269292094061_n.jpg

If they are like the ones on the first page, I have two that Im unlikely to use...

Form an orderly queue please Gentlemen... OP would have first shout on one though!

Rampage:
IIRC the design's a bit 3D for laser cutting,
Yup...overall the thing's about 12mm deep with several different 'shelf' heights.

The bulb one with the squarer splines looks pretty flat, though it does still have a shelf like a chainring spider.
I didn't model that one, just the 5 arm XC one.

file.php

All the best,

ringo":1mj4ujmf said:
If they are like the ones on the first page, I have two that Im unlikely to use...

Form an orderly queue please Gentlemen... OP would have first shout on one though!

Any pics :D interested to see how they turned out

danson67":1hn8doav said:
Rampage:
IIRC the design's a bit 3D for laser cutting,
Yup...overall the thing's about 12mm deep with several different 'shelf' heights.

The bulb one with the squarer splines looks pretty flat, though it does still have a shelf like a chainring spider.
I didn't model that one, just the 5 arm XC one.

file.php

All the best,

I was wondering about laser cutting then second ops on either the mill of lathe. Either way, it wouldn't be economical!

I reckon i could reproduce that using a router and small bearing guided cutter :? the spider itself would be used as the jig.

Screwed onto a flat plate the same thickness with a series of pre drilled holes to allow the cutter to plunge through. Then the bearing follows the shape and thats about it.
A bit of a clean up and a file to square off any radius from the cutter.

Re:

I`ve one of them fitted to a wheel I no longer use, only thing is the bolts need removing from the rotor, and I had the rotor turned down to 160mm.

Latest posts

Back