Cook Bros crank spider replacement

Silverfish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Before I apply some ‘proper’ leverage to that bolt on the back of the spider - I’m assuming it ‘should’ come undone so you can switch out the spider yes? Need to change my yellow spider to a black/silver/grey one

Attachments

• IMG_5281.jpeg
    IMG_5281.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 25
The bolt will unscrew but the spider is peened on which makes it all but impossible to remove without a degree of force that would terminally damage the crank itself. I'm sure it has been done before but I think the consensus in other threads is don't bother.

Cordouroyboy is correct! Besides the bolt, the arm and spyder is screwed together with the 3 small "U-Drive" screws. U-drive screws are a high spiral threaded self tapping screw that IS NOT intended to be removed. Trying to press or hammer the spyder off the crank arm will most probably damage both parts.

The spyder was powder coated yellow to match the period specific Rockshox. Rumor has it that they were a very small run and your just might want to try to sell them and find another pair of cranks. If not you can attempt to strip the powder coat off the spyder but be careful because the stripper could have a corrosive effect on the bare 7075 aluminum.

good luck!

Yep
They were built onto a Fat Chance show bike for the importer and then removed.
I think I need to sell them and find some others 🤦‍♂️

Buy any chance it was Mark from Evolution that sold you the cranks? I took he and his wife on one of my annual fall surf trips down into Baja. His wife was a "trooper" and had a GREAT time! Mark mostly whined, complained, and sniveled! :LOL:

Buy any chance it was Mark from Evolution that sold you the cranks? I took he and his wife on one of my annual fall surf trips down into Baja. His wife was a "trooper" and had a GREAT time! Mark mostly whined, complained, and sniveled! :LOL:
Ha! No I did the classic bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy

Latest posts

Back