home built lights

just ride the trails you know gazz
they look completely different in the dark
brings a new dimension to them safer too

i always feel that the older halogen bulbs give a better light for night riding,
led's sort of shadow a lot more things, and although they pick things out
farther away ,i feel the pool of light is too harsh ,halogens give a yellower
light that i prefer .

battery life is well in favour for leds tho

When night riding at tentsmuir (a flat forest) I like to go ahead of the group a bit and turn all the lights off, allowing my eyes to adjust - great feeling but there aren't many obstacles to throw me off.

I might have a go at this too.

Glentress, the Friday night of our October meet. Spooky Woods + shonky lights + retro bikes = ?!?!? :D

Anybody got a link to this 5 quid light? I bought one of the dealextreme jobbies earlier in the year, but thinking some additional cheap lumens might no be a bad idea...

LGF linked it on his cheap lights thread in General Chat ;)

As for night riding, I've now tried it at Strathpuffer Lite, scared the beejeezus oot of me. The smallest pebble produces a long dark shadow that makes you think is that only a shadow or a gaping bike swallowing hole, bike swallowing holes can seem as innocent as small pebbles :shock: :roll:

Night riding rerquires nerves of steel, reactions of a cobra and blind faith.

Think I'd mount a generator on the rack and a searchlight on the front if I rode offroad at night regularly :LOL:

velomaniac":21b60ggj said:
LGF linked it on his cheap lights thread in General Chat ;)
DOH! Cheers Velo, don't know how I missed that :oops:

velomaniac":21b60ggj said:
Night riding rerquires nerves of steel, reactions of a cobra and blind faith.
:LOL: Hmmm, this could end badly for me.

night riding

we do night rides at the Carron Valley during the winter months! always good fun! and in days gone by i used to do quite a bit og night biking at Mabie down in Dumfries.

All i use just now is HID type LED lights, 1 i got in decathlon and the other is just the same type of torch taped/zip tied to my bike helmet!! :LOL:

But on the whole they provide enough light, and they weigh very little!! A vast improvement from days of old halfords torches with big massive batteries that added about 2 tonnes to your bike and gave you so little light from the crapy halogen bulbs!!!!

But night riding at Glentress would be mental! might still be up for it though!! :cool:

Greig.

finally got round to digging these out

made about 5 years ago
12v bulbs , the sort found in low volt house lights
14.4v ryobi batt drill cell ,with a plug in adaptor that fits as per the drill unit
so no re-wiring or cutting of casings ,utilises the charger as well
additional mount added to a stem
and a small bar mounted on/off switch
cnc'd casing and mount
the battery is small enough to fit in a seat bag and carry a spare one in a
camel back
run time 40mins charge time an hour tho new battery packs last 60 mins

just ordered some of the cheap ebay ones ,gonna take a set to bits and see
what i can do with them

Super duper excellent job and love the idea of utilizing a drill battery :cool: .

Im in the market for a new drill/driver and thought i could kill two birds with one stone,but couldnt think of a way of bridging it to the lamp .
The batteries i had in mind are for the newer bosch mini driver @10.8V Li-ion, only 1.3ah [about the same as the ryobi one you have there]but the big plus with them is they are only 3" long by about 1 1/4" thick,down side is you would have to find a busted driver to use its mount fittings and as its quite a new thing i doubt theres enough around yet.

I have the old nightsun team max lamp hoods and bar mounts but the lamp internals are gone,as is the wiring and switch,though the one that was there looked like a cheap replacement
Its always the lamp units themselves that are hard to come by.Ill have to creep through a maplin catalogue see if i can work it all out :?

I think using two irn-bru can haves,the lower end for strength and a bit of rigidity, side by side would make good hoods. :LOL:

Back