9 speed cassette to replace 12....?

I agree, we currently live in a throw away society where people believe chasing likes on social media, and having mountains of debt is the way to go, i dont know about other areas but in the motor trade (uk input) dealears make more money by leasing than selling, due to baloon payments, end of lease upgrades etc. And as everything is under 1 monthly payment, consumers think they are getting a better deal, when really they're paying for something they will never own, So many people spend money they havent got, on things they dont need to impress people they dont like,

What a lot of people dont realise, or are unaware of, is if you change the chain when that starts wearing out, all the other parts will run much longer. Its onyl when the chain exceeds its recommended stretch length, that it starts wearing the other components in ways whcih when a new chain is purchased, it no longer engages and skips. Thus you need to replace the whole lot which is very expensive. Its not down to the latest tech or anything, its like servicing your car. Look after it with regular oil and filter changes and you wont need to replace anythign catastrophic.
Get a chain lnegth checker and keep on top of it people!
But i do agree that the newer society is based on throwing stuff away and replacing it every year or so. I am 36 so not that old, but i dont get a new phone every 2 years, i own my car outright and dont have finance, and try not replacing anything at all costs. The wife however....Im still working on that one!

What a lot of people dont realise, or are unaware of, is if you change the chain when that starts wearing out, all the other parts will run much longer. Its onyl when the chain exceeds its recommended stretch length, that it starts wearing the other components in ways whcih when a new chain is purchased, it no longer engages and skips. Thus you need to replace the whole lot which is very expensive. Its not down to the latest tech or anything, its like servicing your car. Look after it with regular oil and filter changes and you wont need to replace anythign catastrophic.
But i do agree that the newer society is based on throwing stuff away and replacing it every year or so. I am 36 so not that old, but i dont get a new phone every 2 years, i own my car outright and dont have finance, and try not replacing anything at all costs. The wife however....Im still working on that one!
Surely your not pn about doing trusty preventative maintenance? 🤣

Are you absolutely sure it has to stay as 12 speed?

If it's a SRAM NX 12 speed set up - it will be using the standard Shimano hub body (and therefore 9 speed compatible) rather than the microspline one. And the microspline one (and only compatible with Shimano 12 spd) is a very recent standard and at the upper end IIRC so there's a good chance the Marin predates it.

I'm as sceptical of new stuff as anyone. But you could have easily paid a bike shop £50-100+ in the 90s for a mid-range drive train replacement (especially as everything would have been RRP). Does closing on 200 quid seem quite so unreasonable 20 years later? Admittedly, I wouldn't pay it as I'd DIY/cobble together second hand/cheap parts off eBay. As others have said, you could probably get a 12spd cassette, chain and chain ring for around 100 quid to DIY it - and chains, cogs & chainrings have always been seen as consumables.

These are also core parts of the bike so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised if they cost a decent % of a new one. I wonder if some of this is about framing. If my friend tells me, my bike is a pile of modern crap and that's a huge amount to replace parts and they maintain their old bikes for tuppence - then I feel bad about it (and the hobby). But if my friend tell me, yes it feels expensive but look at what you get for your money (inc the fun you've had) and here are some tips to keep it running longer next time - maybe I don't feel so ripped off.

IME, the 10/11/12 speed stuff lasts as well as the 9 speed stuff. Can be fiddlier to keep running well though.

Last edited:
The chain has hardly any wear.....checked that.....its the cassette that made of chinesium cheese!

And ive got to say i suffer from a slight instance of this on the original tx chainring i had from 2016.......teeth went before the chain! Its just poor material in use......

Its sadly microspline.....hence above...

But im not sure anyone should be surprised at this finding.

As @Siish pointed out.....im not holding my breath that a 10 year old car will be a good buy now.....let alone a 20 year old one in years to come.

I can just imagine that £5000 heads up display failure on a car thats worth about the same...🤣

There are so many main dealer only parts and fixes on cars now.....i cant see bmw dropping their labour rate, just because your cars 10 years old......no it will go in the crusher and all the environmental sudo advantages will be lost.....I say sudo, because its all about where you measure your worth from....

Electric car? Using lecky generated by oil, gas or coal.......fantastic......😉

Electric car? Using lecky generated by oil, gas or coal.......fantastic......😉

Volvo did a test on carbon footprint, emmisions etc on a I.C.E. xc40 and a fully electric one, volvo do all there own lithium mining, making bateries etc, both cars are made on the same production lines and share as many components as alloys, their findings are as follows,
A fully electric xc 40 when charged off peak and only using renewable power supplies, will take 25000 mile to break even with the I.C.E. one, if its worse case scenario and charging on peak and fossil fuel electric, it will be 100000 mile for the carbon footprint to break even, if these are achieved within a 3yr period, IIRC, there was no mention of RRPS, Service costs, and repairs, just as close as like for like as possible, just dont mention what lithium mining does for the environment

Remember its Volvos job to sell cars to consumers so i have no reason to doubt these results,
Also how have we ended up talking about electric cars on a forum post asking about cassette/freehub compatibility 🤣

Well.....there you go. After a look in person, it is indeed a spined shimano hub. So it has to stay as 12 speed.

Sadly (and this is the reason for the update) its made him pretty unimpressed with the quality of available high end parts and he now feels he would rather put that kinda money into his hobby of riding his motorbike......which he can also take to work and enjoy.

So, he's selling the bike......well done mr shimano.....another cyclist lost......

Im a big promoter or cycling, it has huge benefits, but its not a cheap option and if this is the standard of modern premium components then i kinda get his feelings.

Oddly, talking on sunday to a younger mate (27 ish).... he sees this as quite normal....but then on reflection thats a generation thing. He expects his phone to last 18 months, his car to be handed back after 3 years and that things are transient. That includes the quality of components....he expects everything to break or wear out quick....."they just do"

He also pointed to the fact that people sell their drive trains wholesale when the rings start to wear.....thats apparently normal....just look on ebay.

So, congratulations to the consumer society, this is an all time low, disguised as a peak..........our thirst for devouring new stuff has played straight into the hands of the very people selling us the stuff! In that we now expect low quality at high prices and we are not disappointed!

As for the older generation....well im watching a 27 year old lowe crt tv still, riding bikes with 30 to 40 year old components and driving an apparently "environmentally unfriendly" car that's 23 years old (when 10 year old cars go to scrap because of a computer failure)......

If people have no money.....stop spending it on consumer eye candy and poorly made rubbish......vote with your feet.....stop being a cross between a lemming and a bloody sheep.

I know free will is dead as we leave the ways of liberalism and the " self" behind and step into a society where information controls us.......but come on! You need to help yourself too!
Amen brother, totally correct

Back