Holdsworth Mistral 1965

Bantamqouc

Retro Newbie
Hi, this is my first post here so apologies if this Is the wrong forum.
I’m interested in buying a beautifully restored 1965 Mistral.
Does anyone here know much about these bikes. Provided there’s no structural damage and the parts are in good order, can I expect such an old bike to still ride well?
I'm interested because my dad rode a mistral n the 70s. I like the idea of getting something old and loved back on the road and used. The one I’m after was bought at the Putney store and hasn’t been restored so well.
Thanks for any thoughts.

@Peachy! This is in your wheelhouse I believe?
@dwscrimshaw is more your man regarding Holdsworth’s. But yes, a quality steel bike like the Mistral has every chance of being a joy to ride. And of course simple upgrades to the drive train & shifters to an indexed system can make it as simple to ride as any modern.
Plus they look better.

Northing especially fancy - modern legend seems to have taken the Holdsworth name to new heights of mythical legend - but decent well designed and constructed frames that are both swift and comfortable. Claud Butlers of that era were made in the same workshop and are closely similar model for model, being part of the Holdsworthy group as they were then.

In its standard form they're very rideable by today's standards, and as peachy says modern components keep them contemporary if that floats your boat. The only thing to watch is prices can be undeservedly silly, there are too many of both brands about to make them worth big sums ( a good resto with pro paint will weigh in more than the finished article is worth), but if you can get it for a fair price you'll have a bike that you could ride and enjoy every day in all conditions. A bike to be ridden and enjoyed for sure.

Back