holdsworth i.d please

just had a look for numbers on bb,they are on the dropouts,got this off a couple the lady said they had it from the 70,s from new,i asked what shop she said i cant rember but it was still in the wrapping,got some pics
DSCF2878.jpg

DSCF2881.jpg

DSCF2880.jpg

DSCF2874.jpg

DSCF2872.jpg

DSCF2870.jpg

I'm not an expert, recently I acquired a Holdsworth frame and done some researches about the make. Usually Holdsworth bikes had serial number stamped on bottom bracket. The numbers were advancing chronologically, 18349 would pace the bike about half of 50's. Headbadge were introduced in 1953 and lasted until 70's, according to classiclightweights. Downtube transfer seems to be of later type. Bottom bracket oil ports are more likely date the frame to 50-60. Typhoon had Nervex Pro lugs. Fork shape looks like 50's as well.
1954-55 Typhoon with respray in the meantime?

cheers for the info,like i said the lady said they got from brand new,dont know if this was sprayed in the 70s as new? ;)

Oil ports are definitely part of 50's, forks are the same period and serial number is mid fifties as well.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/
"Most pre-war Holdsworth's have the frame number on the seatlug. Post WW2 it is generally under the BB, but some 1950's models are stamped on the rear dropout, drive or non-drive side"

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/de ... worth.html
"Frame Numbers
Holdsworth frame numbering from the early post-war years is a quite simple sequential mumbering system; frames numbers ran from about 6000 in 1946 through to about 30000 by 1962."

The bike with closest number I've found is 1955 Cyclone Frame No. 18144
on http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... worth.html

Only transfer is leading to 70's and an old lady ;)
Her word against Hilary Stone... frame geometry... and serial number..
So still according to me it's 1955 Typhoon.

Cheers,
Piotr

yes im with you on that one mate,lugs on forks are the same,as soon as i seen it i was looking for 531 or? stickers,do you know if any of the kit on it is period?
cheers

looks like its been narrowed down to a real classic Holdsworth. I think that era for Holdsworth was fantastic - they made some beautiful bikes.

Probably headset, GB Stem, Maes handlebar (there's nice, quite fancy collar under the tape by the stem clamp area), seatpost and saddle, Weinmann brakes and levers, gear shifter (looks like early Huret). I'm not sure about the right crank arm and chainring that look like Specialites T.A. Cyclotouriste. Were they made in 50's? Usually cranks were cottered. Wheels usually were 32/40 spokes.

Rear derailleur and Silstar crank arm is later addition.

Maybe that old lady got it just after in-shop repaint?

What are you going to do with it? Restoration?

It's very nice bike, btw.

Cheers,
Piotr

i dont know what to do with it just yet,its got a little ding to the top tube ill have a better look at it.ive not been for a good ride yet.i think i will keep hold of this one :D ,thank you to piotr for all help and info,cheers guys ;)

Back