Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Re:

This is very interesting as it speaks to the Holdsworthy factory process for their top model - it was in a separate special section of factory by their top builders.

You have a "special" frame.

Thanks for your comments Doug. I always liked the ride quality of the frame but never knew anything about the build process - till now.

Peter

Hallo Dave and fellow HWers,

The numbering project seems to have settled down and now looks very robust. Just to pick up on my comment about using the catalogue to bookend periods where features are included in the bike production timeline, here is a mini table for my 1969/70 Pro.

Attachments

• Holdworth Production Timeline 1968-1970.jpg
    Holdworth Production Timeline 1968-1970.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 650
Thanks, Yes I would always put good frame ID above any predictions made on dates. Do I understand from this we are agreed on 1970 factory pro? I think the lack of pop rivets would be explained by the re-paint and self tappers used to put badge back on.

Re: DBS Holdsworth

I just came across more of the DBS branded Holdsworth, they are presented on this web page. http://www.cykelhobby.com/dbsmystery.html

Frame numbers are 4171 on the yellow and 4131 on the blue, which seems to make sense, the mystery is the greenish one with frame number U13184. It could be that the U is a 0 and then the number fits into the late seventies six digit series. The the color scheme fits with an late seventies bike from DBS.

The yellow bike is most likely an early seventies bike, while the blue is most likely been repainted and given decals from the early eighties and thus its hard to tell the year of manufacturing.

Thanks, I have seen this site before, but couldn't understand the text, thanks for the translation. I should have asked you before I guess, i'll add these to the list. We have your early 70's 4 Digit example and a 6 digit too so I suspect these fit in where you have suggested.

Re:

Just had a look at PerB's link. Just to clarify, I see a Yellowish Green 'Pro', a Blue 'Pro', and some detail shots of what looks like a Grey 'Special'?
Looking at dwscimshaw's provisional(?) ascribing of (up to) a thousand frames a year (I am guessing all high-end ones- i.e. 'Pros') made in the first half of the '70s under the four-digit system, the fact that both these 'Pros' numbers start with a '4' would make them both 1974? I can't tell from the photos, but the absence of brazed on bottle cage bosses might give a useful 'not after' date for these frames. For Holdsworth, I'd say look for the year that braze-on bottle cage bosses became 'de rigeur' in the Continental Pro peloton, and add a 'season'? My memory says '1975' or thereabouts.

Back