Holdsworth Cyclocross

Kman

Dirt Disciple
I've started a new thread to capture the build of this Holdsworth Cyclocross frame from 1973.

Thanks to the excellent work carried out by Dave Scrimshaw and others on the Holdsworth Frame Numbering thread, I've been reasonable confident in determine the origins of this frame.

Its a 1973 Holdsworth custom, that was specifically build for cyclocross. The frame number is 3168. The number on the fork matches the bottom bracket.

I do have about 90% of the components I need to build the bike up, but I'm trying to determine which direction to go. Either as close to original, or a proper retromod that could be reversed if necessary.

I don't see too much info around about cyclocross in this period in the uk, so any pointers would be appreciated.

As with my other threads, I have a number of projects on the go, but will update as and when.

Kristian

Attachments

• IMG_2503.JPG
    IMG_2503.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,933
  • IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,933
  • IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,932
  • IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1,932
  • IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,933
Nice, a few pics of the period should let you know the general layout. Canti brakes, bar end shifters, knobbly tubs on heavier rims, guard for the chainring, and a used tub folded over and taped to the top and seat tube to help with lobbing it over the shoulder lol

Re:

Cheers Midlife. That's pretty much how I used to ride it in the early 90's as a junior!

Mafac canti's - Check
Campag bars - Check
Fiamme Ergal on Campag hub - Check
Vitorria tubs - sort of

A chainset, plus all the consumables is pretty much where I short. But I'll source this as and when.

Ron Kit used to sell a fair bit of cx kit and sponsored Barry Davies. The Ron Kit catalogues are a god read lol

file.php

Re:

Never seen that before! Funnily enough I have a pair of the master cross tubs. Must be nicely aged now!

Don't forget the Unica plastic saddle and Lyotard 460 pedals with double toeclips.

Re:

You mean these?

I have about 4 pairs of Lyotard pedals of this type and more from other types! Couple of correct saddles too. I have enough for both bikes. The question I'm still chewing over is how period correct I go. I'm toying with actually racing these. They would be an interesting alternative to the Kinesis Crosslight!!

Kristian

Attachments

• IMG_3114.JPG
    IMG_3114.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,318
  • IMG_3116.JPG
    IMG_3116.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,318
  • IMG_3117.JPG
    IMG_3117.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,318
Back