Henry Lloyd bike history

John's number is L873 so would be 3rd frame built in 1987, which rings true with when he received it.
Thanks for that. So same "L" used in different years", but still no idea as to its meaning. I can see that John's bike appears to be 531 db frame/fork, but not an "SL"/"Pro" tubeset so the "L" might relate more to geometry/model regardless tubeset. Frame obviously uses different lugs, tubing, stay caps, and maybe more (what are the d-o's?), but could still be of the same geometry design. I like that it has the same head tube cable guide to distinguish his work (I have not seen that on any other frame in that particular position).

I found it interesting that my frame is made with English tubing, French lugs, Italian braze-ons, and Japanese drop-outs. Using "SL" Reynolds tubing at that point indicates availability of some old stock since the "SL" tubing was replaced by "Pro" circa 1980/81. It seems to have been made with whatever frame pieces were left in the bins. I'm curious if John's bike frame is also a melange if nationalities.

Also, was the frame built-up when in Lloyd's shop or was it just the frame set on display before you obtained it?

Thanks for that. So same "L" used in different years", but still no idea as to its meaning. I can see that John's bike appears to be 531 db frame/fork, but not an "SL"/"Pro" tubeset so the "L" might relate more to geometry/model regardless tubeset. Frame obviously uses different lugs, tubing, stay caps, and maybe more (what are the d-o's?), but could still be of the same geometry design. I like that it has the same head tube cable guide to distinguish his work (I have not seen that on any other frame in that particular position).

I found it interesting that my frame is made with English tubing, French lugs, Italian braze-ons, and Japanese drop-outs. Using "SL" Reynolds tubing at that point indicates availability of some old stock since the "SL" tubing was replaced by "Pro" circa 1980/81. It seems to have been made with whatever frame pieces were left in the bins. I'm curious if John's bike frame is also a melange if nationalities.

Also, was the frame built-up when in Lloyd's shop or was it just the frame set on display before you obtained it?
I bought it from Chalky as frame only, it had never been built up previously. I cannot recall the exact timeline, but it was after Henry's shop had closed as Mick was at Freewheel at this point. The shop closed in September 1988 and he had been at Freewheel for a while so I think it would be 89 by the time I got it, so approximately three years after it was built. It had been displayed in Henry's prior to the closure, so I'm not sure if it was built for display purposes or using up available components but either way I think it is pretty unique!

Back