Henristig's picture journal

Re:

That Orange still looks fresh! and the Slackline looks like it could be a lot of fun :)

I noticed you ride through the winter? I'm hoping to go to Idre in Sweden for some nordic skiing later this year and am thinking about taking my bike, do you use regular tyres over the winter? or do you switch to studded tyres??

Re:

Great pictures of the bikes in Kokkola Henristig – those forests look magical. Looks like you've got some mighty fine riding there – what a move you've made. The Orange is still looking fresh and fruity, despite the fading you mentioned earlier. Nice Tattoos, btw. Stanton is looking very meaningful too. Got passed by an electric blue one the other day (a rare sighting, for London). Prefer the raw look or that translucent forest green.

I'm off the road at the moment – having a break from the riding and have stripped the Clockwork down for a deep clean, lube, grease, and refit for the autumn/winter ahead. Waiting for a cassette, chain and other bits to arrive. Also, just received some quality faux leather today – going to recover the saddle. It's a Charge Spoon which is nice and comfy but the coverings Charge use are so thin, flimsy and wear through in just a few months. Going to recover my old Vetta saddle too but I need to replace the rails as well.

Sounds like you're having a whirlwind of adventure up there. Hope it all goes well....

Re:

That stanton is looking nice, and the white fade clockwork is _very_ nice, but your scenery over there is simply stunning.

Keep the photos coming I say...

Oh to rediscover this thread after all these years! Like finding one's childhood :D

Good times were had in the early 2010's, that's for sure! Fast forward, what, seven years?! Geez.

Did a stint of work practise as an mtb guide on Tenerife and after graduation I spent a year guiding sea kayaking in the Helsinki archipelago. Biking stayed with me all along and preoccupied my thoughts more and more over the years.

Got rid of the raw Stanton at some point when I was skint and needed money, still regret it to this day. Was Stantonless for a while until I couldn't take it anymore and got a red 1st gen frame. Couldn't find a picture of it complete but it was built up and ridden for some years. Now the frame's been plundered for parts and is hanging in storage, waiting for the day I'll put it together again. One of these days, err, years.

51548215936_bbbf5d9e90_k.jpg

Acquired a mid/late -00's Karate Monkey as a trade-in back in 2016 AFAIK and this would be the bike I'd keep if I only got to keep one. Toured and bikepacked several countries on this one. 27,5+, 29, rigid, suspended, discs, rim brakes, drop bared, geared, fixed gear, kid duty, mtb, touring, city - it just works. What a versatile almost-classic.

51547419127_d5b310c478_k.jpg

80z92nz

I stumbled into bike messengering in 2016 and professionally it's been all down that hill ever since. Got my own bike courier business now and pretty neck deep in it... The orange white clocky met its end after two and a half years of daily service on the streets of Helsinki, cracked at the BB and was pretty rusted through in general from all the road salt. A stoic, ugly passing. Still miss you buddy. I defiled a retro classic...

51548944594_27fb3086f5_k.jpg

After the clocky, I promised myself I wouldn't ruin a unique bike by riding Helsinki winters, so I got a beaterish -93 Cinder Cone. I also promised myself I'd never run rim brakes at work anymore. I had survived two winters of haphazardly frozen rim brake surfaces on those countless freezing/melting Helsinki winter days by no merit of my own besides fool's luck. So, I brazed some disc tabs onto the Cinder Cone.

What a beast of a bike. The lovely ride of a 90's skinny frame mtb combined with the amazing stopping power of modern hydro brakes. I've shown it no mercy. I ended up snapping the original velocity stem dropping down a flight of stairs downtown. Ouch. Literally. Either way, I survived and thought no more quills at work, and extended the steerer tube at a welder for an ahead setup. I went on to snap the fork leg on my fixed gear shortly after, loads of broken metal that spring of 2019.. Still long for that retro look of the quill though.

tpqqSAg

51547818447_70e4aa3faa_k.jpg

This fall I found a small crack on the P2, my own fault for brazing a disc tab onto a nearly 30 year old 800g triple butted fork I guess. Will put a weld on it and just ride, I think. I sense another stoic death coming. Not my own, I hope.

Messengered three years solely on old mtb's, but these last couple of years I've honestly been doing most of my riding on a fixed gear Steamroller, such a versatile bike that is and so little to go wrong on it - I appreciate it's not the content of this forum but felt I had to include it since it's such an integral part of my life nowadays, more than anything else. Being strapped in and 100% part of the motion, there's just something special to it. Like accessing some sort of hyper-reality. Four years ago I really didn't get it. Nowadays I do.

ff1e95cc2eda39fc67c6b8e5d05d289f13475ddc.jpeg

It has been a long dry spell on the hobby front, all work no play etc., until I stumbled upon a bargain recently, and the real reason I'm bumping this thread.

Here's my Reflex ALX6000; well preserved Mag21's up front, uncracked and pristine Wildgrippers, some retro carbon in the cockpit, what a beauty! I'm slowly bringing it back to a 90's state as time and funds allow but oh man is it a looker. :)

51542933309_aafec22a08_k.jpg

Good to be back on a retrobike!

Last edited:
Oh to rediscover this thread after all these years! Like finding one's childhood :D

Good times were had in the early 2010's, that's for sure! Fast forward, what, seven years?! Geez.

Did a stint of work practise as an mtb guide on Tenerife and after graduation I spent a year guiding sea kayaking in the Helsinki archipelago. Biking stayed with me all along and preoccupied my thoughts more and more over the years.

Megszabadultam a nyers Stantontól valamikor, amikor nyúzott voltam, és pénzre volt szükségem, és a mai napig bánom. Stantonnélküli voltam egy darabig, amíg nem bírtam tovább és kaptam egy piros 1. generációs keretet. Nem találtam teljes képet róla, de felépítették és néhány évig járták. Most a keretet kifosztották alkatrésznek, és a raktárban lóg, várja a napot, amikor újra összerakom. Egyik nap, na, évek.

51548215936_bbbf5d9e90_k.jpg

2016-ban szereztem egy 2016-os AFAIK csereként egy 2000-es évek közepe/vége Karate Monkey-t, és ez lenne az a kerékpár, amit megtartanék, ha csak egyet tartanék meg. Számos országot bejártunk és kerékpároztak ezen. 27,5+, 29, merev, felfüggesztett, tárcsás, felnifék, ejtőernyős, váltós, fix váltós, kid duty, mtb, túra, városi - csak működik. Milyen sokoldalú, szinte klasszikus.

51547419127_d5b310c478_k.jpg

80z92nz

2016-ban csöppentem bele a bringás messengeringbe, és szakmailag azóta minden lefelé megy. Megvan a saját biciklifutár üzletem, és szép nyakig benne... A narancssárga fehér óra két és fél évnyi napi szolgálat után ért véget Helsinki utcáin, megrepedt a BB-nél, és általában eléggé berozsdásodott. az összes útsó. Sztoikus, csúnya elmúlás. Még mindig hiányzol haver. Bemocskoltam egy retro klasszikust...

51548944594_27fb3086f5_k.jpg

Az óramutató után megfogadtam magamnak, hogy nem teszek tönkre egy egyedi bringát azzal, hogy helsinki télen tekerek, így kaptam egy ütős -93-as Cinder Cone-t. Azt is megígértem magamnak, hogy soha többé nem fogok felniféket használni a munkahelyemen. A számtalan fagyos/olvadó helsinki téli napon két telet túléltem a véletlenül fagyott felnifékfelületekkel, a bolond szerencsén kívül semmi érdememből. Tehát néhány lemezfüleket keményforrasztottam a Cinder Cone-ra.

Micsoda bicikli vadállat. A 90-es évek vékony vázas mtb csodálatos menete a modern hidrofékek csodálatos fékező erejével kombinálva. Nem mutattam neki irgalmat. Végül felpattintottam az eredeti sebességszárat, és leestem egy lépcsőn a belvárosban. Jaj. Szó szerint. Akárhogy is, túléltem, és nem gondoltam, hogy több tolltollal dolgozom, és egy hegesztőnél meghosszabbítottam a kormánycsövet, hogy előre beállíthassam. Nem sokkal ezután felpattintottam a villalábat a rögzített felszerelésemre, 2019 tavaszán rengeteg fém tört. Bár még mindig vágyom a toll retro megjelenésére.

tpqqSAg

51547818447_70e4aa3faa_k.jpg

Idén ősszel találtam egy kis repedést a P2-n, az én hibámból, amiért egy közel 30 éves 800 g-os háromszögű villára forrasztottam egy lemezt. Azt hiszem, hegesztést teszek rá, és csak megy. Érzem, hogy újabb sztoikus halál közeleg. Nem a sajátom, remélem.

Három évig csak régi mtb-n küldtem üzenetet, de az elmúlt néhány évben őszintén szólva, a legtöbbet egy fix sebességes Steamroller-en tettem, egy olyan sokoldalú kerékpáron, ami nagyon kevés, és nem hibázhat rajta. Értem, hogy ez nem az. Ennek a fórumnak a tartalmát, de úgy éreztem, muszáj szerepeltetnem, mivel manapság az életem szerves része, mindennél jobban. Mivel be van kötve és 100%-ban része a mozgásnak, van benne valami különleges. Mintha valamiféle hiper-valósághoz jutnánk. Négy évvel ezelőtt tényleg nem értettem. Mostanában igen.

ff1e95cc2eda39fc67c6b8e5d05d289f13475ddc.jpeg

Hobbi fronton hosszú száraz időszak volt, minden munka nélkül, stb., mígnem a közelmúltban belebotlottam egy alkuba, és ez volt az igazi ok, amiért felpörgetem ezt a szálat.

Íme az én Reflex ALX6000-em; Jól megőrzött Mag21 eleje, repedésmentes és érintetlen Wildgripperek, némi retro karbon a pilótafülkében, micsoda szépség! Lassan visszahozom a 90-es évek állapotába, ahogy az idő és a pénz engedi, de ó, hát ez egy kinézet.:)

51542933309_aafec22a08_k.jpg

Jó újra retrobike-on ülni!
Helló! Segítség az eredeti állapothoz. Reflex ALX6000. https://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Reflex1991.pdf

Back