Help with sizing a Kona Lava Dome

Terry_hill

Dirt Disciple
I won an eBay auction for a 1992 Kona Lava Dome listed as 17" at the weekend, didn't think anything of it until I was looking to get an accurate date from the archive and saw that in 1992 no 17" frames are listed! the range goes 16,18,19,20,21. Any ideas why 17" was missed in the catalogue or have I bought a miss measured bike that's gonna turn out to be a 19" (17" to top tube I'm guessing).

The seller hasn't replied to my collection emails so far but was wondering if anyone here had any ideas.

I'd guess it's a 19", and they measured to the centre / top of the top tube. Kona sizing is to the top of the seat tube, which always sticks up a fair way more than other brands.

Earlier Konas were (oddly) quoted as from the TOP of the bottom bracket, not centre.

It looks like a size 18 from here.

That is to say it will measure 18" from the outside of the bottom bracket shell to the top of the seat tube, or 18.75" from the centre of the bb to the top of the seat tube. I haven't owned a 1992 Kona, but according to the catalogue the top tube length of a 1992 size 18 is the same as that of a later years size 17, so you may not be too badly off.

There was no size 17 in 1992, and the size 16 was quite small.

hamster":3g0rva9v said:
I'd guess it's a 19", and they measured to the centre / top of the top tube. Kona sizing is to the top of the seat tube, which always sticks up a fair way more than other brands.
Earlier Konas were (oddly) quoted as from the TOP of the bottom bracket, not centre.
No, 1992 was still done that way.

Hmmm that was my thoughts.

Oh well, seems almost completely period correct apart from front forks and brake and I think I got it for a good price so hopefully it will fit the intended recipient and all will be well.

Collected it tonight and yes it is a 19" frame. Thinking that height wise it might just be Ok but cockpit length is gonna be a stretch. Are/ were short stems available with quills or was that an advent of ahead type forks?

I'd like to keep the headset setup as it's fairly original down to having a nearly new front Joe Murray tire. Only real non oem parts are the front forks headset, front brake, grips and saddle by the looks of things so seems to have been a good buy.

As I said, it's a size 18, and if the c-t seat tube is 19", the c-c top tube is 55cm and the head tube is 13cm then that would confirm it.

A 55cm top tube isn't very long, but as you say the Velocity stem is quite long. You might struggle to find a short quill stem, especially as I think you may have a 1" set up on a 92 Lava Dome, I can't remember.

Having said that, I've just looked in my box and I have two! May not suit, but would certainly make that a smaller bike. Profile Design, 10cm, 20 deg rise, or Uno, 9cm, 10 degree rise, both 1", both near perfect condition. Both on my children's bikes BITD, and long forgotten until now.

Back