Help with Marin frame numbers please!

I also have a palisades and a team Marin that share the same first letter and 4 numbers! That pretty much debunks the idea of a model number in the early one letter and 9 digit codes. There are also examples if you work you way through the thread of just about every number in every position!

I agree about frames being badged up differently and why not if they are basically the same frame. BUT, there are clear examples of low and high end frames, constructed from differing materials, sharing supposed "model identifying" numbers.

This along with a reported statement from Marin saying that it's the factory and the year only, pretty much ends this for the early one letter then 9 number frames numbers as far as I'm concerned.

If anybody wants to do the same comparison for the post 91 to 98 codes, I'm sure lots of people will sleep better, sure in the knowledge that their £5 worth of palisades frame from 93 is what it is.!

Ok, but are you sure it’s a Team?
People also used to repaint or try to sell lesser bikes as the higher one

From my research, its more like 90+% of model numbers which are correct.
All 4 of my marin’s are correct, for example

Are your pre 91? There the numbers I'm talking about....and yes, cant be much more certain as it's got the correct flared seat tube, 2 top guides........oh and I bought it in 89!

Bimly":1cumycg2 said:
Are your pre 91? There the numbers I'm talking about....and yes, cant be much more certain as it's got the correct flared seat tube, 2 top guides........oh and I bought it in 89!
I have had varying success with different ‘90-‘98 steel Marin’s using the id system laid out at the top of this thread, but was surprised to find that a ‘95 Team Marin frame I have has a very short serial number, five letters/digits iirc. This became all the more strange when I noticed a similar but different size ‘95 Team for sale on eBay with the exact same number...!!!! I gave up trying to id Marin frames around then haha

I think that's the best thing to do. Frankly, there are easier ways of finding which model a bike is, unless it's been seriously "triggers broomed" . Also being honest most Marin frames are worth peanuts. I know that's not the point and that many just want to know, but surely the year, along with dating evidence of a physical nature, is enough.?

When my team comes back from the powder coaters, I will photo it with the identical palisades, and mark the differences. This i hope will help stop the " I've just bought a team Marin....but...." happening again.

At the end of the day, the ride is what it's about. I've had as much fun in the past messing about round rendlesham forest on a Raleigh equipe with cowhorns as I do on a pedigree bike. So why the fuss.

just go out and ride....surely that's why we build them?

Agreed, it’s mainly about the ride, but still I’ve enjoyed tracking down models that were on my bedroom wall back in the day! Especially now they are comparatively dirt cheap. I always found spec comparisons fascinating...
Surely tho a Team frame differs visually from a palisades by having cable guides on head tube rather than downtube? Or is that just later versions...

Yes, there are several differences, including seat post size, flared prestige tubing, weight, guides, seat stay position, chain stay differences etc. HOWEVER, if you dont know this it's very easy to follow the stickers, which sadly I have seen....even on here.

I may even do 5 mins welding, just to show how easy it is to fake it.......just before I angle grind the frame to scrap. (It was a £5).

I only purchased it to get the colour match from under the stickers (they resist uv) and for sticker location info.

Bimly":1us7yx4r said:
:D
Very cool by the way (flared seat tube)
Mine are 93,93,2000,94

Re:

Hello,

Looking for some help identifying a Marin frame. I read the guide to the serial numbers, but it still really remains a mystery to me as the frame attributes do not fit to the appropriate year and model. To me it looks like a Team Issue, but I could be wrong.

The SN is:
C36GAC003
Also, there is a 13-17 on the bottom bracket.

C = California? China?
3 = Pine Mountain? The frame is chrome, so unless this was done afterwards it wouldn't make sense.
6 = 1986, which seems too early, but 1996 seems too late??

Thank in advance and sorry, lots of pics.

-Ryan

Back