Help with Marin frame numbers please!

Hi, anyone know what model and age this comes out at?
F330AAC013
Model 33 and “00” (2000) model year??

Edit: found the catalogue, it was a 2000

Looking for a bit of help figuring out my recent retro buy please. Marin rift zone, but someone has suggested it's a mount vision given the fact that it's ball burnished.

Frame no: F219GAC140

There are other numbers under the frame number but can't quite make out until I strip it.

From the info in above posts, am I right to assume it's:

F Fairly
2 Team Marin
1 Team Issue
9 1999
C 17"

Or is the 21 another code (I note the rift zones aren't on any of the previous posts lists)?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Spec:
Manitou SX R forks
Fox vanilla coil
Magura racelines
Xt rear hub
Xt rear mech
Mavic 217 sunset rims
Kooka carba stem
Kooka carba bars
Tioga factory xc front & rear tyres
Bontrager saddle

By just looking at the serial number, I can tell the bike is not from the 90s.

My bet is that it's 2001. So look up the specs on each model from 2001 and you should be able to tell which one it is.

Cheers NPN. Definitely not an '01. The frame and swing arm look identical to the '98 Rift Zone, but from what I can see, it was never produced as a ball burnished frame. This is what led me to think that it may be made factory team bike. Have tried to upload a picture , but won't let me as file is too big.

Help Me Please...
Newbie to this, recently purchased a Marin Quad XC ( I believe) bit confused as it looks just like a Marin Mount Vision, even email Marin dealer to no avail.. Trying to find out correct spec of Marin to refurbish the bike as bottom bracket already worn out.

Frame No: F229EA5076

F = Fairly
2 = Team Marin
2 = ??
9 = 2009 ( I believe)
E = 20" Frame
A = ??
5,0,7 & 6 Not a Clue

Re:

Got to love a ten year thread.

1988 Marin Pine Mountain = AS892936 Also a big R2 adjacent on the BB shell.

Love to know which factory the "A"s came from.

Re:

Just add my 2 pence worth.... things to remember when dating a bike.

1. Frames are made in advance, this has been said before in the thread. Your 90 year frame could end up on a 91 model. The year a frame made is not the same as the model year.

2. Models don't change on midnight 31st December each year... I've had a 90 built frame, that came in 89 colours...why... because the new model was launched in April each year. Roll out is also slow and manufacturers use up old stock first to complete bikes. It's just economic sense.

3. Bikes sadly get faked and people have poor memories. If I had a penny for every 90 ish team Marin I've seen that's only got one top cable, a heavy frame or a non butted seat tube I would be rich. Also anecdotal evidence from the previous owner, taken from the previous owner, proves nothing much sadly. "He said it was 91, butters no parsnips".

Having worked in lbs around this time, all I can tell you is that from recollection the 10 digit numbers only carry the factory as a letter, followed by year. The rest is randon or "coded" to Marin. This was still early doors for Marin in 88.89.90. After 91 it's easier as the 9 digit codes with letters in the middle identify more variables.

If anybody is really stuck dating a marin from this era, I would be glad to help. Nobody wants to pay good money for a lemon.

Re: Re:

Bimly":2aiqfwsb said:
...After 91 it's easier as the 9 digit codes with letters in the middle identify more variables.

If anybody is really stuck dating a marin from this era, I would be glad to help. Nobody wants to pay good money for a lemon.

Hi Bimly, so maybe can you help me for deciphering the letters and explain why I have a 5 number for the model (as I have a Pine Mountain and not a Bear Valley, so it should have the number 3 instead of 5)

My serial number is a 9 digits (so normally pre-199:cool:

F58CAD038

F: Fairly factory
5: Bear Valley (but mine is a Pine Mountain in Matte Forest Green)
8: 1998
C: ?
A: ?
D: 19 inch size (which is the correct size of mine) ;-)

DSC_1601.jpg

I'm not an expert on frame numbers, i just saw more than my fair share of Marin bikes from the early days. What I should have said is I'm happy to try and help date bikes, from the bike frame and its components.

However, over the last few months I have looked more into frame numbers, including contacting Marin. They were no help to be honest.

My answer on the 10 digits stands. It's just the factory any year....that's it.. I have looked at several examples of different models and there is no correlation that seems to identify model or month. Some say it's the 3 or 4 digit.....so way did the factory do in Oct, Nov and dec?

As for post 91ish to 98. The numbers are not really of interest to me, so I have not gone too far with them.....however, the data if collected from this thread alone suggests they are hit and miss and it seems many are making an answer from data that fits the question....not a good method of research!

As I said anyone wants to post pictures or has physical queries re age I'm glad to help. Especially with team marins etc going for the price they are. I've already seen one sold this year, for sale that was definitely not a team.... so be careful out there guys.

Re: Re:

Zanza":mli365di said:
Bimly":mli365di said:
...After 91 it's easier as the 9 digit codes with letters in the middle identify more variables.

Hi Bimly, so maybe can you help me for deciphering the letters and explain why I have a 5 number for the model (as I have a Pine Mountain and not a Bear Valley, so it should have the number 3 instead of 5)

My serial number is a 9 digits (so normally pre-199:cool:

F58CAD038

F: Fairly factory
5: Bear Valley (but mine is a Pine Mountain in Matte Forest Green)
8: 1998
C: ?
A: ?
D: 19 inch size (which is the correct size of mine) ;-)

DSC_1601.jpg

This comes up regularly, the frames were interchangeable. Sometimes the “wrong” frames were painted as a Pine Mountain for whatever reason.
And the rest of the code is junk (enigma code)

Back